Removing stud wall under purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to remove the stud wall that sits undernieth a purlin in my dormer bungalow to enable me to utilise the lost 7 foot of space that sits behind their, thus givin a much bigger bedroom. The Purlin spans about 3.2m across and is wooden roughly 100mm by 300mm thick. It sits in the brick walls of the house at either end. Only half is a stud wall, the other end is a warddrobe that goes back into the void and I cant see that this provides any support for the purlin. i understand I will have to get a structual engineer in before work commneces but just thought if anyone can see any problems with what I would like to do??

Sponsored Links
I would have said a clear span of 3.2m would be adequately supported by a 100mm x 300mm purlin.

However, you must ensure that you insulate and/or ventilate the space that you will be opening up to 'habitable' spec.

Also be aware there may be a ceiling binder or pipe and cables to contend with and there will still be a small amount of unusable space close to the eaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back