Removing tap valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I know people have posted about this before, and I have read those posts and the helpful responses. However, I still can't get this to work.

I have a tap which is only running at a trickle, so I'm assuming that I need to change the washer. However, when I've opened up the tap I can't get the valve out, no matter how much force I apply. I've tried loosening the valve with boiling water but it doesn't help.

This is the whole tap: View media item 47064
And this is it with the cover off: View media item 47063
I've never had to take one of these apart before, so I'm wondering whether there is something unique about this tap. Any ideas? [/img]

Sponsored Links
Keep trying it can be tricky.....just be prepared to replace the whole tap...

I think you need a better fitting spanner as the insert is getting a bit chewed up now.....the main problem is preventing the tap from turning in the basin.
The insert will unscrew - sometimes they are bloody tight!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Might be an option to try a set of mole grips as you seem to have taken all the edges off the tap body with your pipe grips.

A RING spanner is a better thing, touches all 6 points, or try a socket set, sometimes the socket is long enough, at a pinch.
Mole grips will kill or cure!

To stop the tap turning there is the special tool, though I thought it looked a bit flimsy.
Here's another approach, which is the sort of thing I do. Though I now have "plumbers' forearms" which also helps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGF39ReBrj0&feature=related

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back