removing tarpaper backed linoleum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old hardwood floor that was covered with tarpaper and then linoleum. I've gotten the linoleum up and am looking for ideas on how to get the tarpaper off the wood.

Sponsored Links
Loads of ventilation and white spirit, but I bet you have a different name for it. :D

Lots of hard work and white spirit defintely works, very messy job though. Just a thought, is the tar paper there to prevent damp from rishing through the floor?

You are right, we probably do call it something other than white spirit. Maybe mineral spirits. And I'm not sure why tar paper was used. There is a full basement, heated, underneath. I think it was something they did 50 yrs ago.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a pain this one. You have to remove as much tar as possible using a heat gun and a stiff wallpaper scraper. Then copious amounts of white spirit rubbed in with a wire brush. As I said, 'bit of a pain'! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back