Removing the stop end cap on a Ideal Standard close coupled toilet - which way to turn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a close coupled Ideal Standard cistern similar to this one:
http://www.ideal-standard.co.uk/product-details//E7184.html

The water in the cistern is filling very slowly and I want to remove the stop end cap on the ballvalve to clean the filter. However, the space to work with in the cistern is small and the stop end cap is very tight. To make sure I'm not just tightening it further - which direction should I be turning it?

As an alternative, I tried to remove the body from the standpipe so that I can work on stop end cap more easily, but again this has been tightened a lot Again, which direction should it turn to open?

Pictures are attached below if that helps.

Cistern - Stop end cap.JPG
Stand pipe.JPG

Sponsored Links
Top pic, looking at the nut end on, turn anticlockwise.
Bottom pic as you look at it, turn clockwise.
It may be easier to remove the fill valve from the cistern, or indeed renew it altogether.
John :)

Thanks for the quick replies! I'd be quite happy to replace the whole fill valve but I think to remove it, I'd still need to remove the top part so I can turn the stand pipe enough to unscrew it? If I did replace it, any suggestions on which one would be good?

Sponsored Links
For replacement, a brass shank valve by Fluidmaster is the one to have.
All of these valves are held in with a nut on the underside of the cistern.
John :)

Thanks, that helps a lot! This is my first post on here (and first plumbing diy) and I'm really impressed and how quickly I have received replies. Thanks again!

to clean the filter, you undo the big screwed ring, not the end cap, and withdraw the float lever and other parts. Wash all the bits. If there is grit, turn the water on for a minute with the bits out to wash the pipe out.

There may be a how to do it video on youtube, or videojug or somewhere. If you don't find it under Armitage Shanks, look for Torbeck. It is either a copy or a rebrand.

Be careful of the needle. Put the nib in its slot.

I have just finished replacing the fill valve with the Fluidmaster one suggested. It was quite straightforward - thanks to the excellent advice on here, good instructions that came with the valve, and a youtube. The cistern fills quietly and quickly - no drip-drip-dripping noises for ages and weak second flush.

Thanks all for your advice and help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back