Removing tiles applied directly to chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post here. I have been in my house 10 years. Cracks started to appear in kitchen floor tiles a couple of years ago. Am planning to replace with vinyl flooring. Couple of places wouldnt supply quote cos they didnt want to know what had caused the cracking tiles. They asked me to remove the tiles so the floor underneath could be inspected. Seems like the tiles have been laid directly onto some tongue and groove chipboard-like stuff, and the cracks have resulted through a mixture of poor adhesion to the floor, and gaps of 2mm or so in the joins between the boards. The kitchen cabinets have been fitted directly over the chipboard stuff, so removing all of it isnt really a cost effective option. Chipping off tiles is bringing chunks of the chipboard with them. Im guessing that my options are to either:

Chip off the tiles as best I can and get some sort of screed applied

Or

Cut out and replace the chipboard flooring up to the edge of the cabinets before proceeding. Hopefully the plinth should cover the join once refitted.

Is the first option feasible?

Sponsored Links
option two! is the chipboard on joists or is it floating on insulation over block and beam?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back