removing top layer of damaged bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Some time ago our side gate was replaced with a brick structure and around top gate (see photo) unfortunately the builder used the same standard facing bricks for the top layer laid on their side. Long term weathering and water ?frost etc have caused the top layer to start to break up. They need replacing with engineering bricks which I have sourced. My problem is to ensure that I have the right tools to remove this top layer without disturbing the underlying structure or the rendering which is on the outward facing part of the structure. Currently all I have is a brick bolster I have a strong feeling in the general waterworks that this is not wot I should use to accomplish this task without rending of garments and kicking next doors cat. advice please for which eternal thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the mortar isn't too strong then club hammer and bolster would do the trick but work in line with the wall not across it - so start at the fence end and work towards the house. Otherwise it's an angle grinder with a stone cutting disc which will cause less vibration damage to the rest of the structure?

I agree with the above.

But you only have one course above the fragile arch, and the slightest disturbance will mean having to re-build the arch. Go very lightly.
Stay away from the soffit.

Why not consider some coping or capping bricks instead of what you have. Dont try to match-up, go for a contrast and make the top course a feature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back