Removing Wall Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As its the xmas break we decided to decorate our spare room, at the moment its got woodchip wall paper which has been painted over by the previous owners, we attempted one wall with a steamer but it peeled off the original paint and in a lot of places Im back to the plaster.

As we intend to just paint the walls I assume Im going to have to pva them first but if I now dont remove all the old paint I will see a line on the finished wall wont I?

If I pva the wall then give it a coat of white could I get the levels of the paint to match, I dont fancy sanding it all round trying to get it the same level, at the moment all I can see is me trying to remove every inch of the original paint :cry:

Sponsored Links
I opted for lining paper, your doing the job twice but you'll get a better finish

Sponsored Links
Never pva walls before emulsioning,the only people who do this arent decorators !!!
There is no short cut to your problem,the walls need a good rub down and then the best option is as Fattony suggested,put a decent grade lining paper on.This will give you an excellent surface and is well worth doing.

Phill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back