Removing Wallpaper From Platerboard Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

We are looking at redecorating our house, but we have the horrible woodchip effect wallpaper stuck to some of the walls. The house is 1970's timberframe with stud internal walls and single block outer. I had a look in some of the light and socket boxes and there doesnt appear to be a plastered layer on the plasterboard so the paper appear to be stuck straight to the boards. Is there anyway the paper can be removed without damaging the plasterboard underneath?

Sponsored Links
I would say not.

I would think VERY carefully about removing woodchip paper from a plasterboard wall that hasn't been skimmed.

You will get many, many dents in it to say the least, probably big holes into the 'plaster' as you go through the paper layer of the board.

If you do get it off carefully, I suspect you will have to get a plasterer to skim the lot, and replace any really damaged boards.

I don't know why people don't like woodchip, I think it's nice. Also easier to paint, as it doesn't seem to show any brush marks like a flat surface might in a certain light.

Last edited:
You would have to make the woodchip very wet bedore starting to remove it. Than carefully try to remove with filling knife.
Anyway probaly you will need plasterer.

Sponsored Links
Is it true that plasterboard has a lifetime for when you can plaster it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back