Renault Trafic diesel 03 plate Manual

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Back for some advice again , I’ve just had some work down on the 03 plate Trafic.It’s generally in good order 145k on the clock
I’ve just had some Power Steering pipes renewed there was a slight leak, and the Off side wheel bearing replaced

In the past it’s had a replacement refurbished Gearbox & clutch / slave cylinder at about 90k

I’ve driven maybe 10 miles since I got the Van
Back , went out in it today everything seemed fine , steering was lovely nice & smooth , got Home turned to get into the drive , dropped it into reverse fine , needed another stab to park , drove out a little then tried reverse couldn’t get it , and then the Van started with
The signs of a clutch burn out , stinky etc , it’s just drivable now , but I’m sure the Clutch has gone (still no reverse)

Is this just unlucky or somehow linked to the work they may have done when fixing the 1st problem (Power Steering)

Any info or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply , yes it was the Front offside , any more info based on that ?

Cheers
Phil

Depends what or if they did anything with the driveshaft.

But unlikely to have caused it to smell, more likely possibly loose shaft, affecting driveability.

Smell is often a sign of wear/slip.

Most likely coincidence, but not impossible to be related

Sponsored Links
Ye gods - it's hard to visualise what any garage could have done with this one....they didn't drop the box out or owt daft, did they?
Can you check to see if the driveshaft support bearing has been tampered with......it's only on the offside?
John :)

Thanks for the input Guys , I’ll have a look on the Morning , but if a ****er just spent a bit getting this done & now the Clutch , there wasn’t a hint of it going prior , no slip ,judder smell etc , easy getting gears in etc

John yes it’s the offside re Bearing change , unsure of what I’m looking for on the Bearing , but I’ll have a looksee

Gawd only knows, but the longer of the two driveshafts has a central support bearing, bolted to the engine block.
Just see if it’s been moved.....usually it’s covered with crap so you can tell.
Personally I think this is too much of a coincidence and I reckon the garage isn’t coming clean for some reason.
After all, a wearing clutch fails slowly - not in ten miles!
John

Hi John

In fairness I E mailed the Garage last night and received a reply within ten minutes , it’s a small Independent Garage that’s got a good reputation locally , and he asked me what had happened etc , so fair play to them (for now)

I’ve moved the Van from over the Road and there’s no reverse nothing no crunching or anything , and didn’t want to push it with the forward Gears , I had the Cables replaced on it maybe 3 or 4 years ago and the Clutch is maybe 4 years old or 20k miles everything replaced etc

I’ve had a look underneath and can see where the Pipework has been replaced etc , but can’t really see the Bearing support

So they are going to send one of the Guys out on Monday to have a quick look (we are a mile from the Garage) because I wouldn’t be happy to try drive it that one mile !

I’ll keep you updated

Thanks again for your advice

I’m a Domestic Sparkie just recently got to part time with the old Pension has just kicked in & a TKR this year shows the old Bodies wearing out , if you ever need some Sparkie insight drop me a line on here

Regards

Phil

Always a good sign if the garage are keen to check it out.

Could be related, or could be coincidence to the work done, so give them their chance and see what they say.

From the garage perspective, we hear a lot of " ever since you had my car for xyz repair, abc has gone wrong". Sometimes it's related, but most times it's not.

Hi Guys

Here we go with an update , Mechanic from the Garage called round at lunch time , had a look under the Bonnet and showed me the problem , one of the Cable ends had come off it’s ball , the end just pushes on , so thsts reverse back again, we both had a Test drive and all seems fine now , all Gears easily accessed plus no Clutch slip / judder , I had the Cables changed maybe 5 years ago due to stiffness when trying to engage Gears

I’m not sure if it’s related to the other work , it’s on the opposite side to where the main work was going on , we’ll see how things go now and I’ll know what to do should the Cable end pops off again

Once again thanks for your input Guys , always good to have some ‘knowledge’ to help me

Off to Yahoo.com now to give the Guys some positive feedback , they deserve it

Cheers
Phil

Delighted to hear that Phil and thanks for the update!
What about the stinky clutch though? Threw us with that one!
John
I’ve worked round dry clutches at the Speedway 20+ years working on the Bikes so I know a stinky clutch , I’m pretty sure it was stinking / almost smoking , maybe a bit of Pilot error as I was trying to park up … maybe 3rd gear selected ‍♂️ it seems ok now ….. maybe I’ll be back on here sometime soon

Thanks again

Good end result.

I'm thinking the stinky clutch was as you suggest, pilot error. Good that you recognise that as a possibility, but it did make it a bit confusing.

Quite possible they disturbed the gear cables when fixing the power steering pipes. Doesn't take much sometimes to knock something with a big arm, wrapped up in warm clothes, without noticing. As was said, not directly connected, but never say never.

Well done for leaving positive feedback. As I always say, mistakes happen, it's what you do about them that matters.

Sponsored Links
Back