rendering ceiling ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have been asked to render a ceiling (outside ) which is over some decking.
the ceiling is made up of a timber constuction which spands about 20 feet, it is going to be the timber construction which will be boarded over followed by a wire mesh. i have done a similer type of application to a wall before but never a ceiling. will render built up in layers be ok ?, or can anyone recomend another material to use. any info welcome

Sponsored Links
hi, i have been asked to render a ceiling (outside ) which is over some decking.
the ceiling is made up of a timber constuction which spands about 20 feet, it is going to be the timber construction which will be boarded over followed by a wire mesh. i have done a similer type of application to a wall before but never a ceiling. will render built up in layers be ok ?, or can anyone recomend another material to use. any info welcome
is it smooth render mate?
Think you will be ok building out in layers.
I would give it a tight 1st coat then scratch, leave for a few days(in this weather) then another coat and float(or dash) when ready.

I pressume you are using s&c? If so make sure ot has plenty body to it before emptying out the mixer. It will be a nightmare otherwise

yes as far as i know they want a normal smooth render finish.
that's what i was thinking a tight coat to get a layer into the mesh then scratch coat then top coat, ok thanks for the reply you have put my mind at rest. .................... i dont think i'll be doing it for a couple of weeks, sand is on job ready but was frozen solid yesterday lol ( we need some sun ) :cool:
i will also put some lime into the top coat mix as its a timber construction it's prone to movement so should help.
thanks for reply

that's what i was thinking a tight coat to get a layer into the mesh then scratch coat then top coat, ok thanks for the reply you have put my mind at rest. .................... i dont think i'll be doing it for a couple of weeks, sand is on job ready but was frozen solid yesterday lol ( we need some sun ) :cool:
i will also put some lime into the top coat mix as its a timber construction it's prone to movement so should help.
thanks for reply

As DM said, you need to build it up, 10mm thick layers. Scratch coat, leave to go off then float it. Wouldn't use s&c if the structure is timber however. You will find it crack when it rains and get's windy. You could do with some flex in the mortar or you will find you are constantly repairing it each year. A lime mix would sort this out but as it's outside and not the house you need not use it if you are upto constant yearly repairs.

I would go for a timber ceiling if it was me.

Sponsored Links
thanks for reply

As DM said, you need to build it up, 10mm thick layers. Scratch coat, leave to go off then float it. Wouldn't use s&c if the structure is timber however. You will find it crack when it rains and get's windy. You could do with some flex in the mortar or you will find you are constantly repairing it each year. A lime mix would sort this out but as it's outside and not the house you need not use it if you are upto constant yearly repairs.

Your right, its almost certain to crack out. Would be even more noticeable because its smooth render. I would do it dash or u said a timber ceiling. Even some sort of pvc panels would better be better suited

hi peaps, yes cracking was my main concern and as i said i will put lime in the top coat ( or would you put it in all layers? ) as for the timber ceiling option i totaly agree but the customer has had a top notch designer in and they say render :rolleyes:

thanks for reply

Your right, its almost certain to crack out. Would be even more noticeable because its smooth render. I would do it dash or u said a timber ceiling. Even some sort of pvc panels would better be better suited

To cold for render anyway, -8 here today, fighting with a floor at the moment, just caught it!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back