Rendering in bad weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all.
Just finished building a bedroom extension upstairs in breeze block.
It now needs rendering.
I've waded through the many many posts on how to render, but there doesn't seem to be any general consensus of how to do it. Much more wading needed!
However, my question is, it's obviously now November. Cold, damp and rainy.
Should/can I render in these conditions?
If it rains during/after the first/second coat, is it ruined, or how long would I need to leave it if it rained every day for a week before it's considered dry/gone off?
Thank you.
;)

Sponsored Links
Rendering season finished at the end of October and does not start again till March. ;)

Realistically, so long as it is no lower than 4 degrees then you can render. But, as you say, driving rain is a problem. There will be opportunities to do the finishing coat but you must seize them with both hands.

Many thanks to both of you for the replies.
I understand it's possible to do from what you say.
But, looking through the archives, opinions differ from between 1 day to 1 week for the drying time to leave before applying the top coat.
Which do you go with?
Scratch coat one day and finish coat next or a week between?
I've not much chance of a dry 7 days at this time of year, so perhaps I should go with noseall's reply?
Thanks again.
:confused: [/wiki]

Sponsored Links
Theoretically a scratch coat should be left 3days for the cement to hydrate, before you put a top coat on it. But not a lot of situations allow this to happen. So really at this time of the year when there is not a lot of drying in the air you have to lay it on and apply it when you can...

Thanks for that and all the other replies.
Looks like if I want a long-lasting render I need to wait for spring.
One less job for now I suppose.
Plenty more to keep me going!
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back