rendering - lime or plasticiser or both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've already asked a few questions about rendering but just wanted to clarrify something. if you are using a liquid plasticiser do you still need to use lime? the plasticiser i have found gives instructions without lime but i have seen on the forum that you use lime too?!?

very confused.....

Sponsored Links
i've already asked a few questions about rendering but just wanted to clarrify something. if you are using a liquid plasticiser do you still need to use lime? the plasticiser i have found gives instructions without lime but i have seen on the forum that you use lime too?!?

very confused.....

Personally, I'd prefer to use lime . IMHO, it gives a much better texture to the render, and gives you a bit of 'fat' when you rub up/nap/sponge. It also gives the render other properites like flexibility, strength and breatability.

The plas will make the render easy to use (ie put on the wall)as it aerates it well (don't leave it mixing too long, though, or it will turn into p!55) However, to me does not give the same body when finishing as lime does.
It's really up to yourself , and what kind of sand you are using, so if you get the mix nice with one, you won't need the other. If using plas, put only a litle in the first mix, and let it mix to becom enice, rather than putting a load of plas in , then you can adjust your mix as you mix the next one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back