Rendering ontop of painted textured external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has got this weird texture on the external walls

Its not paint directly on the bricks

Its not as smooth as textured masonry paint but not as course as pebble dash

Have been told its like a coursish sand mixed with paint used to hide cracks and what not and help with damp

I want to render it smooth and paint it as current paint looks grubby. Will this painted texture stuff be enought of a key to render to?

Can I render straight onto the painted wall. Most seems really stuck on. There's some patches round the back that is loose.

I've been told the paint has to come off first, can this be done with wire brush attachment to a grinder? or a chisel hammer? or sandblasting? or chemicals?

I've heard sandblasing and things like the wirebrush will damage the brickwork, but is it ok if I'm going to be rendering straight ontop after??

Also someone said that it mioght be the paint that got this weird textured but instead a textured render that has been painted ontop. If thats the case wont the sandblasting or wirebrush just take off the render and leave the brickwork safe?

Will it be easier to spatterdash and render ontop??

Sponsored Links
I'll google that. Can terylene be rendered ontop of?

Has it been painted?

You do have a couple of choices to render over it. One is under discussion in another thread but not similar situations.

Personally, I would hack it all off and render it. You could save money if you hacked off the render ready for a company to render it. This would save if you went down, say, the rendalath road.

Hack it off and render.

Sponsored Links
good luck googling it. I think he means tyrolean but im not sure. Maybe terylene is something ive not heard of before..

Googled both spellings and havent found that much info in regards to it removal. Guessing people must like it more than me and dont want to remove it

good luck googling it. I think he means tyrolean but im not sure. Maybe terylene is something ive not heard of before..

Googled both spellings and havent found that much info in regards to it removal. Guessing people must like it more than me and dont want to remove it

Yes my spelling is sh** tyrolean, I always spell it wrong.

http://www.wbs-ltd.co.uk/renders_finishes_tyrolean.htm

right, you have a couple options. One is hack it all off. Either with a hammer and bolster or, if the brickwork is sound then hire a hilti gun to get it all off. I use them on bigger jobs.

The other option is, hack off any boss bits and patch. There is this stuff you get that u can coat straight onto painted wetdash or tyrolean, i cant remember what its called but its black/dark grey, comes in 25kg bags and like glue. Once this is applied cover with the big rolls of mesh. I have only done this the once and dont have much experience in it. Only done it because the render wouldnt come off.

If it was my house, id hack it off.

http://www.wbs-ltd.co.uk/renders_finishes_tyrolean.htm[/QUOTE]
tbh i never had a clue how to spell it untill one of the boys from work asked me if i had a tyrolean box. Always thought it was spelt completely different

dmplastering";p="2273702 said:
The other option is, hack off any boss bits and patch. There is this stuff you get that u can coat straight onto painted wetdash or tyrolean, i cant remember what its called but its black/dark grey, comes in 25kg bags and like glue.

Is that weber.rendaid or rend.dash?

Think I might hack it off. I'll look into this hilti gun you speak of.

Its on the whole frontage, back and side of a large semi. I'll do a test patch round the back and if its a nightmare to get off then I'll just patch it and paint over

tbh i never had a clue how to spell it untill one of the boys from work asked me if i had a tyrolean box. Always thought it was spelt completely different

I spent some time doing it years ago but still forget the spelling. I hate doing it hence haven't taken a job on for over 10 years. Too much like hard work and if it rains even a little, well not good.

mojorising";p="2273717 said:
The other option is, hack off any boss bits and patch. There is this stuff you get that u can coat straight onto painted wetdash or tyrolean, i cant remember what its called but its black/dark grey, comes in 25kg bags and like glue.

Is that weber.rendaid or rend.dash?

Think I might hack it off. I'll look into this hilti gun you speak of.

Its on the whole frontage, back and side of a large semi. I'll do a test patch round the back and if its a nightmare to get off then I'll just patch it and paint over

http://www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/page/module/product/prca_catnavigation.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-78516

have a look here. I usually hire for a couple days at my local tool hire.

I couldnt honestly tell you what the stuff was called as it was when i worked for someone else. I mind the boy saying it was expensiclve stuff though

I spent some time doing it years ago but still forget the spelling. I hate doing it hence haven't taken a job on for over 10 years. Too much like hard work and if it rains even a little, well not good.

Yeah, if anyone phones asking.for that finish they are often very easily swayed on to something else. Dont like doing tyrolean or wet dash

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back