rendering over paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi iv got some garden block walls to render smooth but they have been painted can i scratch coat straight over or score the wall first with a grinder???

Sponsored Links
Hi, There are some rendering experts on the forum who have obviously not seen your post yet. So consider this a bump as well as my own opinion.

I would not want to render over a painted wall at all. However! using your angle grider to prepare the surface is a possibility. The problem is, you have to be very thorough and not just be thinking about a few grooves to act as a mechanical key. Essentially you are looking to remove the paint.

If the painted blocks have a "open" texture, I don't think it is a good idea at all. On the other hand, if the blocks have a smooth finish then consider the various wheels you can use on a small angle grinder, including flap discs and grinding stones. How effective they are depends on the nature of your paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back