rendering??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,,

i can anyone give a good do';s and donts of rendering,,

i want to render my garage which is medium density concrete blocks,,, would like it smooth then paint after,, but have never done it before..

so make it simplistic, like an idiots guide,, LOL..

thx

Sponsored Links
if i was writing an idiots guide to rendering it would be this:

DON'T ATTEMPT IT!! :LOL:

have you tried searching old posts on rendering? there should be a glut of info on this.

Sponsored Links
i can plaster ok,,

why is it more difficult,, and whats the mix of sand and cement and water ? and is there any other additive to put in ?

In some ways I'd say rendering is easier than plastering just need strong shoulders to carry the extra weight.

Usually 4/1 sand cement thick 1st coat 5/1 thin 2nd coat

1st coat thick scratched. Second coat thin applied when 1st is firming up or next day. If inexperienced wet 1st coat with water to allow more time on 2nd coat. 1st coat is rough second is floated flat with yellow plastic float then sponged flat if final finish or scratched with nails in float if plastered.

Builder's sand gives far easier application but sharp sand gives stronger more waterproof mix but far harder to apply.

PVA or wet wall down with water if dry background. Use mortar plasticiser or waterproofer.

If damp background after sorting damp use sharp sand 3/1 4/1 with waterproofer.

If you're inexperienced I advise to use waterproofer in 1st coat that'll give you ages to float out second coat before it dries very useful.

Some pro's may give more detailed info.

ok fair one,,

what would be a resonable price to get someone to come do it?

its 2.3m high, 3 walls, 7m x 4m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back