Rendering.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my thread about Cavity wall insulation, we also plan to have the external walls rendered. It is a 3-Bed Detached Bungalow with attached garage, built in 1929.

The red brick-work isn't in the best of condition and has been patched up in places, so it looks like we have no choice but to render.

We really don't like the look of the stippled/pebbledash kind of finish. Is it possible to smooth render without too much ongoing maintenance (except of course for repainting)? I dont mind a little maintenance, but I don't really want to have to be redoing it in 5 years!!

What should we expect?

Then, unless there is anyone on here in my area who want's to quote, it's out with the Yellow Pages!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's very possible. good prep & the right mix followed by good brand paint.
render - 1st coat strong and thin and gouged to form good key for 2nd. Do not use a metal float on the 2nd only wooden/plastic

No problems with a smooth render finish.

As mutantgoat say's good prep, scratch coat and 2nd coat, both with a water repelling additive.

2nd coat should be applied with a steel float, then wood/plastic float finish.

Complete with a good water resistent paint. Repaint as necessary in the future ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back