RENDERING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can any one tell me the steps i must take to render an internal wall;
plus what materials i need and whats the mix ratio;
also how do i apply the rendered mix to the wall.........
it's abreakfast bar i'm doing, with brickwork pillars
much help needed PLEASE
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hmm, very difficult to explain bowlox, there are whole books devoted to that question - and some of those don't get around to answering it.

Why are you rendering and not plastering? Rendering is not the easiest thing to do if you're not practised at it. Not that plastering is a piece of cake but it is a bit more straightforward - in my opinion!

If you are rendering because of renovation problems you could use renovation plaster.

General advice, wet the wall before applying plaster - not soak it, just wet it - or the wall will suck the guts out of the plaster and you will have an immovable mess on the wall. Use a £4.99 plastering trowel from B&Q to lay it on and straighten up with a length of skirting board - check to make sure it's straight. Use angle beads on the corners but don't over trowel them or you will rub the galvanise off and they will rust.

Mix the stuff in a bucket with a stick and tip the mix onto a board. Don't bother trying to clean the bucket out and make it look like new - just let the dregs set in the bucket. it will tap out very easily once set but still green.

And there you have it. Nice new breakfast bar.

:LOL:
Thanks for the reply Jegs, the reason why i wish to render and not plaster is that render will give the finnishing look i'm after as well as blend in with the rest of the building, I know it's a pain in the a##e but i have to follow the look given throughout the rest of the room.
If you can give me any more tips then please! as i really do wish to crack on with this sooner rather later............

;)

Sponsored Links
Don't mix too strong. I would recommend a 1:1:6 cement:lime:sand mix. Dampen the wall and lay on in fairly thin coats - say about 10mm. Don't try to smooth it as you lay on. Get it on the wall, let it stiffen and then smooth off the high spots with a wooden float. Scratch the 'between' coats - Hammer 4 or 5 nails through a small length of timber to make a scratcher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back