Rennovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am a newbie and hope someone could throw some light on this. I am getting this property which needs lots of renovation. I have a few qns on this and also would it be cheaper/peace of mind if I got them done individually through yellow pages or get an interior designer and let them sort out? Also which would be the ideal way to get them done ( I mean to start off with plastering or bath etc...)

1) Kitchen and integrated appliances with cabinets (including flooring and wall painting)
2) Bathroom (tiling, painting and a 3 piece suite)
3) 3 bedrooms and a lounge (plastering, painting and lamination)
4) installation of a combiboiler
5) installing halogen downlights (lounge, kitchen and bathroom)

Thanks in advance. Regards, Pep

Sponsored Links
what do you suppose an interior designer will do?

(Interior designer thinks)

I need a kitchen fitter, painter, plumber,plasterer, floor fitter, heating engineer, electrician, my usual "people" ar all busy, hmmmmm, yellow pages, oh and for all my phone calls, I will charge charge the sucker (er client) £2,500

in my opinion, cheaper and peace of mind do not fit in the same sentance.

But to expect all trades to turn up at the same time is also not good fro anyone.

I would suggest you decide what needs doing, write it down, get quotes for everything, and make another list as to which order it should be done.

eg, you dont want the plasterer in before the electrician, and you dont want the painter in before the plasterer

A good builder will have all these trades working for him/her or know subies they can rely on.
They will be able to advise on weather the property needs more or less work than you envisage (rewire) once the works required are agreed they will be abel to tell you how long it will take and provide an estemate.

If you haven't already decided on exactly which kitchen and laminate you want There estimate will include a provisional sum for the units and laminate you can then decide weather to upgrade these items according to your desiers /wishlist.
Once you have firmed up the details a good builder will give you a fixed price
idealy go through this proces with 2-5 builders to ensure you are getting a competitive quote and if one price seams to cheep it is and your better off paying a higher but more realistic price than haveing the work boched.

google FMB and go to find a builder

pepene said:
Hi all,
I am a newbie and hope someone could throw some light on this. I am getting this property which needs lots of renovation. I have a few qns on this and also would it be cheaper/peace of mind if I got them done individually through yellow pages or get an interior designer and let them sort out? Also which would be the ideal way to get them done ( I mean to start off with plastering or bath etc...)

1) Kitchen and integrated appliances with cabinets (including flooring and wall painting)
2) Bathroom (tiling, painting and a 3 piece suite)
3) 3 bedrooms and a lounge (plastering, painting and lamination)
4) installation of a combiboiler
5) installing halogen downlights (lounge, kitchen and bathroom)

Thanks in advance. Regards, Pep

A good interior designer will (should!) turn your property into exactly what you want & some of the results can be fantastic as long as you have the money! But they are a very expensive option & are really for people who either don’t have the time to plan it out or have lots of money & can’t be bothered do the groundwork themselves – if you fit into either of these categories then go for it! Otherwise some careful groundwork & planning it yourself will save you loads!

I am 15 months into the major renovation of a 60’s rural property (my dream home!) & I would advise caution if you are new to the property renovation game. There are always more problems than you thought & that budget you worked out at the start, including the 10% extra you should have added on for contingency, will probably be busted big time!

Everything costs much more than you would imagine & I am doing the bulk of the work myself because of this but with some of legislation now in force, you have to call in some trades. The problem is that these trades are generally in short supply for small jobs & some regard it as a license to print money; & the work won’t necessarily be that good! There are some very good & genuine guys out there but they can take some finding so be vary wary!

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all u 3 guys, God bless, will take in ur valuable advise. regards, pep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back