RENOVATING OLD DOORS

D

DeletedUser

I recently sent one off one of my doors to be stripped, it turned out quite well apart from some stubborn bits that didn't get removed. I applied some paint stripper and scraped it off but that has make the door lighter in parts and taken it back to the bare wood when the rest of the door is quite dark. Not sure how old the door is, if its as old as the house then its about 60 yrs old. I don't really want to sand it all down as I prefer the weathered old look but how do I get the lighter patches to match up? Went to a DIY store the other but didn't know what to choose for the best.
Have though about sanding it all down and then dying the whole door but I can't see how to sand round the curved bits surroundind the panel without ruining it.

Sponsored Links
The colour difference might just be due to oxidising of the wood when exposed to the air, in which case your newly-stripped bits will darken in time.

You can stain it with Colron wood dyes or similar if you want to match all the joinery (which if intended to be painted may be of different timbers in doors, liners and architraves). The dyes need not be in dark colours.

You could play about with tea and coffee to stain it. It will raise the grain a little, but you can flatten that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back