renting homes problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
son and d-in -law due to move into new rented house at end of month, renting their own as they cannot sell it. people they are renting off were trying to sell their property for best part of a year. they told my son when they agreed a rent that they were taking off the market.
they didnt and 2 days ago pulled out of the deal. son has paid £250 to estate agent in up front fees.
do the agents refund or more likely to say tough, and we cant give you our clients address to take it up directly with them.
going in to see them today and wanted some advice in case someone on here has had a similar problem.
to keep the school place arranged for grandson , son is going ahead with another rental, means more upfront fees of course

Sponsored Links
This really depends on what the up front fees were for. If they were reference checks etc then they are done and you probably can't get them back.

If it was a deposit on that rental property then you should be able to get it back.

Had a tanancy agreement been signed by both parties at this point?

update just chatting to d-in-law, they are veiwing a property at 11 am. they have had deposit refunded by letting agents after pestering them over last 48 hrs.
letting agents say they will get money back off vendors, dont know how as they will not answer calls or emails fom letting agents, so they say.
so letting agents have been more then fair with the children

hi victorian as you can see we were typing at almost same time, not sure what agreements were signed.you ask to help and then told no you just take over, we are old enough to view a house on our own.
thank you for the reply

Sponsored Links
not sure the answer to your home problem but maybe someone can help me with my own home problem.... :unsure:

we are renters and the house came with HORRIBLE mattress. we are thinking of of trying to buy mattress online, maybe try out one of those new memory foam ones, but we want to make sure we can claim back the expense. if you landlord provides you with truly HORRID mattresses with holes and mold on them, are able to demand new ones? I would like to know where my rights stand before confronting him about it...

not sure hattie i think its a question of talking to the landlord first and see what reaction you get, will probably detirmine what sort of relationship you will have in the future and whether you want to rent off him.
id rather sleep on the floor or bed of nails than on something that was unclean
as for your legal rights im not sure but the fact is he does not inspect properly between tenants or worse does not care

not sure the answer to your home problem but maybe someone can help me with my own home problem.... :unsure:

we are renters and the house came with HORRIBLE mattress. we are thinking of of trying to buy mattress online, maybe try out one of those new memory foam ones, but we want to make sure we can claim back the expense. if you landlord provides you with truly HORRID mattresses with holes and mold on them, are able to demand new ones? I would like to know where my rights stand before confronting him about it...

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotl...e_s/common_problems_with_renting_scotland.htm

Condition of furniture

If accommodation is let furnished, private landlords have a legal duty to provide furniture of a certain standard. They must ensure that the furniture is safe and is capable of being used for the purpose for which it was designed. This does not apply to landlords of agricultural tenancies, crofting tenancies or tenancies of mobile homes. If your landlord has a duty to provide safe, usable furniture and does not do so, despite having been told about any problems, you can complain to the Private Rented Housing Panel.

No clue about the US though.

Back