Repacing a built in electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new to this forum so please go gentle with me!

I am planning on fitting a new electric built in oven. My intention is to remove the wiring from the exiting oven - it has an easily accessible connector on the rear of teh oven and then, using the existing wire attach it to the new oven (again simple live, neutral and earth connectors are easily accessible). The existing wire runs to a 45A DP Control Unit With 13A Socket.

I am comfortable I know what I'm doing but want to check I'm not breaking any rules or regulations.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am double checking the old oven rating but the new is 3Kw.

The fuse in the cu is 30A (the cooker has a dedicated fuse)

The new oven requires a fuse between 15a - 20a

I will also double check the fuse in the "cooker switch" but I thought these were always 45A?

Thanks for your help so far.

PS I should say both ovens are single ones.

Sponsored Links
I replaced all the rewirable fuses with cartridge (trip switch fuses) a while ago.

I have now called electrician who is going to sort it out. Apparently he says the cooker switch leads on to a normal 13a plug! I'm not convinced as when you flick the fuse for the cooker on CU this stops the power to the oven.

The electrician originally looked at fitting a new electric hob to replace a gas one. The cost of this was huge due to the need for a new CU.

Anyway for £40 it will be done professionally - which on reflection avoids any unpleasant warranty or home insurance problems.

Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back