Repainting glosswork - stripped back & found black base

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. The problems are with the base coats - lumpy, drippy and runny, and those problems have been oil lowed through on every other coat. The wood underneath is fine and once given a quick sanding will give a great finish. I don't mind putting in the ork even if it takes longer to get the best finish possible.

Sponsored Links
OK, sounds like a project. Be sure to post a picture or two on the way.

Re the black coating. Don't know what it is but on our house (1900 vintage) all the woodwork that is now gloss painted seems to have a black coating as a basecoat. If you knock the paint it peals completely away from the black, so whatever it is, modern paints don't stick to it too well. We have found the only long-term solution is to remove the black down to bare wood and start again.
Re filling, Ronseal twin-pack epoxy wood-filler is great to use and produces a perfect finish. In fact on knotty wood I generally drill or chisel out the knots and fill with the filler. When sanded down the fill is truly invisible. And it neither shrinks nor cracks.

It doesn't make any sense to me. You are taking paint off to put it back on again. Crazy. Simply use the existing paint as a primer and simply sand smooth - then undercoat and topcoat. You'll get a much better finish that way.

Indeed. I treat the existing paint as a "filler" that can be sanded flat, thereby eliminating the wood grain and any other imperfections.

Ordinarilly, I would only burn off interior paint if I decided that it was uneconomical to fill any chips, or if there had been problems such as water ingress.

I groan when presented with a door that a homeowner had previously stripped back and now is bored of the natural look. All too often they don't believe me when I tell that their 100 year old door will look like crap for the first time in it's history unless spend far, far, far longer sanding it than they spent stripping it

Sponsored Links
Re the black coating. Don't know what it is but on our house (1900 vintage) all the woodwork that is now gloss painted seems to have a black coating as a basecoat. If you knock the paint it peals completely away from the black, so whatever it is, modern paints don't stick to it too well. We have found the only long-term solution is to remove the black down to bare wood and start again.
Re filling, Ronseal twin-pack epoxy wood-filler is great to use and produces a perfect finish. In fact on knotty wood I generally drill or chisel out the knots and fill with the filler. When sanded down the fill is truly invisible. And it neither shrinks nor cracks.

That's exactly the case here. Before I even started to consider working on the gloss work, I noticed that in some places I've the staircase banister ends the paint was peeling really easily. The black stuff is much tougher than the newer paint, but using the het gun got shot of it pretty quickly.

I suspect that at some point a decorator has added varnish to the paint to adjust the sheen level. This seems to have been standard practice. If that is the case the problem isn't modern paints but the lack of sanding to provide a key. Besides the first coat after the black wouldn't have been a modern paint, unless no one decorated for 50 years..

If ever you need a lot of two pack filler get it over the web from car paint suppliers. Half a litre of ronseal is about a tenner, 4L of Upol Easysand will be about £18, wayyyy cheaper and just as good.

Or other local car body supplies places - they tend to be cheaper for those fillers too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back