Repair or replace this tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its been dripping for a while so I'm going to start thinking of fixing it.

It's about 10years old, you pull the lever right to turn it on and forwards/backwards for hot and cold.

Does anyone have an idea if it could be fixed and what kind of washers or inserts it would have inside it?

Thanks

IMG_1960.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
It'll be a Ceramic Insert/Cartridge/Cassette, likely to be specific to the tap, so you'll have to identify the make/model.
You may have to look very hard to see how to dismantle the tap. Often a small Allen key/grub screw is involved.
If you remove the cartridge and photograph it, you may be able to match it at Lunns or one of a number of other taps parts suppliers.
You can send them (all) the image and see what they say.
It's often a lot easier than replacing the tap, depending how your sink was put in, even if not cheaper.

Sometimes you'll just draw a blank, especially for taps which were originally cheap/unknown.

It'll be a Ceramic Insert/Cartridge/Cassette, likely to be specific to the tap, so you'll have to identify the make/model.

Been there.... Last week 6 year old tap started dripping. Away for the weekend so Friday shut the isolation valves and then on the way home Monday popped into the "shed" where I bought it to get a new ceramic insert, took the failed one to show what was needed. Didn't have one and offered a new tap at discount. Left and went to Screwfix and bought a new tap. Cheaper than the shed's discounted price,

Then spent most of Tuesday removing the old tap and installing the new one. The bespoke basket drawer unit under the double butler sink made access difficult and involved laying across the 3 inch high by 1 inch wide kick board to first remove the waste pipes. The rest of Tuesday was spent recovering from the bruised back. With hindsight noving the sink out of place would been the better option. I hate myself for that DIY bespoke basket drawer unit. At least the isolation valves were easy to access.

Now the question, should I have bought two taps so as to be asssured of having spare inserts 6 years from now ?

Sponsored Links
I think I've worked in your kitchen Bernie :)
Good advice would be to look at the spares people before buying a tap, to see which ones you're likely to be able to get parts for in many years time.

Thanks, sounds like it might be easier to get a new tap.

There is a mark and a number on the back of the tap:

IMG_1962.JPG

It came today :)

Any idea what size this nut is:

IMG_2008.JPG

My biggest socket is 24mm and it's too small so I'm going to go and visit my Dad and steal something a bit bigger.

My bathroom basin tap was similar to that - just orientated differently. On mine, the chrome/plastic dome unscrewed and I was able to get a pair of water pump pliers on the cap that held the cartridge down. Your chrome dome seems to have an internal thread so it looks like the dome will unscrew.

I think you might be right although from here it looks like he done is part of the tap. It could just be years of crap making it look like that and it does feel plastic.

There's no way that nut will come off with the dome still on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back