Repair panel for door....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg

Is it possible to buy a replacement panel for this door anywhere? We want to remove the cat flap and apart from the weather bar and some new door furniture it is sound so seems a shame to trash the whole door.

I've looked but no luck.

Ta

Ian

Sponsored Links
You could probably get a local joiners or carpenter to make you something but to be honest the time money and hassle its going to cost you may be better off starting to think about a new door especially with the rot already starting to set in.

If the problem is that you are short of money, join your local Freegle (UK based, volunteers) and Freecycle (US privately owned) and ask/look for a used door.

Misguided people are always chucking out good wooden doors and replacing it with plastic rubbish.

You will need at least a roof rack and a helper to collect.

If you end up having to pay, search on ebay within x miles of your home. My shed door cost me £1, but some second-hand doors go for as much as ten.

Be choosey and get a good one, in the correct size that you can fit with no more than a bit of planing. Test for square and flat.

Or, for a quick and fairly easy job, take out the catflap and put in a well-fitting piece of WBP ply, painted black. It will not show much. Cheapest way might be to get an 18mm offcut and use two pieces to make up the approximate thickness.

You can do a new weather bar at the same time. Paint it well, before fitting. Drill and screw from the inside of the door so there are no holes or screwheads on the outside. It looks like your door is hinged to open outwards, which is not normal.

Last edited:
Well I'd certianly be lying if I said money wasn't an issue - having just moved in this is just one of a long list of jobs that need doing and they all add up. Thanks for the advice; at least I know there is not an obvious solution to getting a replacement panel.... but it was also that we just liked the door that is there. Fine like between weathered and rotten though!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back