Repairing 2cm wall and ceiling gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some help and suggestions to find a way of repairing 2cm wall to ceiling gap.

See Pics below:

Q8LrNOT.png

l094mkw.png

OnrqwEY.png

hj7Yh0U.png

cwM84R9.png

I am concerned because in some areas there is a 1cm gap from wall to ceiling boards not including the 1cm wall repairs needed. I'm worried it will not be secure enough and may cause cracks in the future.

Is there any plastering pros or people with plastering repair experience that have encountered the same dilemma I'm facing that could give some advice?

I think my best option would be to place and secure a mesh angleabead (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Anglebead-3m/p/240321) on top of the edge of ceiling boards folded on to the wall where the repairs are needed. The problem I have is I'm unable to get above the ceiling to secure the mesh anglebead to top of the plaster boards.

Do you think attaching the mesh angleabead only to the wall and resting the top above the ceiling board will be secure enough for plastering the gap?......

Or does anyone have any other ideas how I can do this repair job?....

Just an FYI I will be using Wickes One Coat plaster to repair walls (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-One-Coat-Plaster-10kg/p/224540). It states it can be applied up to 20mm thick in a single application.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
First of all scrim tape (4" tape) all the way around your ceiling (wall) filling the holes with your "one coat," tape over your one coat so you have a nice joint between wall and ceiling. make sure the tape is bedded into the plaster. Then just use 4" tape to scrim wall and ceiling joint. Then before skimming paint some pva (3 or 4-1) mix all the way around your taped joint ,top and bottom, Leave to dry then pva it before you skim...If you wanted (Belt and braces) you could double up on your scrim tape.. (especially along the wall edge.) ;) I used to use one coat plaster in the 80's you could build it out to 2" with 2 or three coats (scratching each coat as it sets) After we had screeded it and got it level and plumb we used a rubber/sponge float on it to bring up the "scum" then trowel it off to nice finish..It didn't catch on as I think it was too expensive for domestic work but a lot of sites used it with an elephant pump and the spreaders followed behind. That was when the sponge float came to the fore... You may find it a bit "gritty" when you float it up with the sponge but leave it for a while then it will trowel up to a nice finish.. Also where you have cut the cracks out on the walls pva them leave it to dry then pva it when you fill them with one coat then let them harden up then a bit more neat pva then scrim them when the pva is tacky, Use 4 " tape over them so you have a lot of tape either side of the cracks. This should stop them opening up when you have skimmed the walls. Make sure you tape every little crack as it will come back and bite you , as I have found an hair line crack
on one of my bedroom walls that I did in my own house.. I would also check your walls for "boxy" areas as with so many cracks it wouldn't surprise me if it has "blown" in places... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back