Repairing a concrete drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a few threads on similar topics, but none quite answer all the problems I have!

We have a long concrete drive, which is on a steep slope:

DSCF0080.jpg

The bottom of the slope has broken up into chunks about 2-3 inches across. This has been the case for the last couple of years, and doesn't seem to have got any worse. Recently there was a storm and very heavy rain. The rain has washed some of these chunks out, and it is now breaking up quite badly. The area is about 1 foot square, and a couple of inches deep. It seems to be concrete underneath the area that washed away, but it is very loose/powdery- I don't know how deep the concrete actually is.

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

To further complicate things there is a bigger area that is broken up- about 8-10 feet square. This is still basically in an unchanged state from when we moved in 3 years ago, but the washed away area is in this area.

DSCF0079.jpg

So my questions are (and remember I have never used concrete before!)

1) Can I just repair the washed out patch?
2) Do I need to dig out the whole broken up area?
3) How do I fill the resulting hole with concrete, given the steep slope on the drive?
4) How long will it take to dry- not being able to get the cars up the drive will be a major inconvenience.

Thanks in advance[/url]

Sponsored Links
Where does the drive slope in to, as there are now regulations concerning driveways that slope in to streets, they should be made of porous materials.
I would say that your drive needs a complete overhaul, it's been there at least 33 years and in a poor condition.

If you dig out and replace the are it will work fine but will crack along the joint between old and new. I would say your best bet will be to remove it then drill a few holes in the surrounding concrete about 2 inches below the surface and pop in a few 8inch or so long steel pins, off cuts of re-bar would be ideal this will help strengthen the junction.

As for the steepness its hard to tell from the photo how bad it is but just make your concrete up pretty stiff and it'll be fine.

If it is very steep throw some chicken wire or similar mesh into it half way up the thickness and that will stop it slumping.

Thanks for the help.

The land at the bottom of the drive is private, so it doesn't run straight down onto a (council owned) road.

By dig it out do you mean the washed away area until the surrounding concrete is stable; or the whole of the cracked area (about 10 feet square) until the surrounding concrete is 100% solid?

How long will it be before we can drive over it?

ps how do you know it's been there at least 33 years? :?:

Sponsored Links
ps how do you know it's been there at least 33 years? :?:

Didn't you know I was physic ;)
and also misread your post :oops:

The time it will need to be left to cure, will depend on the depth of repair(I would dig it all up) But I would not allow your cars on it for a good week, after you have poured the concrete, cover it up with poly sheets then the next day spray it with water, that will help toughen the concrete up.

i mean dig right out the whole cracked area to its full depth so no concrete remains.

As for driving over it, after 48 hours you could put a few planks and or thick boards over it and drive on these.

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but did you finish the job? Grateful for any feedback on how it went as I also have a steep driveway I'm looking to concrete.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back