Repairing a Floating Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downstairs in my house I've got a floating floor which consists of an inch or so of polystyrene over the substrate, damp proof membrane, and floating tongue and groove chipboard floor, then just lino on top. I've recently had a bit of plumbing work done and the guy has cut straight through a section of the floor. I don't know why he didn't try and lift the boards along their tongue and grooved joints - maybe it was easier for him to just cut them, or maybe he wanted to disturb the smallest area possible, as the sheets of chipboard seem large.

Anyway, as you'd expect, the floor has lost its structural rigidity in this section now. He used some glue where he cut the boards but this has just cracked and loosened as soon as it dried and the floor was walked on (it seemed a brittle no-more-nails style glue).

I'm now looking for ideas on what to do next. The glue he used can be raked out, so is there any better product that could be used? Or is there any other way to brace straight cut chipboards?

And on a side note, is this type of flooring typical of housing builds since the 1980's? (which is when mine was built). It's making me hanker after a 'proper' house with a concreted floor.

Sponsored Links
probably because the chances of getting glued t&g chipboard flooring up is like me.......SLIM.

you might be able to install some cleats along the cuts and screw the access panel to them to make it more solid.

Thanks for the reply gregers. Do you have any more information on these 'cleats'? What they are, where I can get them etc?

I'm guessing they screw to the top of the board so you'd feel them under the lino? Still, I'd rather have that than have the board flexing.

Sponsored Links
no m8,cleats are just strips of timber/ply that you have cut yourself.
installed underneath the floor itself,half on the original floor and half on the strip of flooring that has been cut.
scrape away enough insulation so you can slide the cleats in without creating a bow on the floor.then just screw it all together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back