Repairing a stone windowsill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour, [rather large lady] was cleaning her front window and went through the stone windowsill. She's unhurt btw...

She asked me to repair it. See attached pic'.

I was going to just make a wooden form and pour ready mix cement into it. How does that sound? Anyone with any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• stonesill.jpg
    stonesill.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
I think it should could do with some mesh or reinforcement inside it. Depends on how good you want to repair it.
Metal rods/mesh should work.

If you have got all the missing bits? perhaps some kind of resin may be better, to glue it back together.

If you go cement way, don't make the mix really strong (i.e. too much cement), I did this on a cill repair and it cracked after a couple of days.

You could then skim with Tourpret Murex around £10, others will be along with suggestions.

sounds about right. Only things to add are whether you can anchor some screws into existing to give your repair more 'bite' and not to forget to incorporate a drip edge into your form work

I'd drill some holes into the stone at the back, and resin some bars in. Cast the concrete around them. Otherwise the concrete isn't going to stay there.

Sponsored Links
Helifix bars spanning it might not be a bad move.

Perhaps you could recommend that your neighbour buys a step ladder? That said, it wasn't her fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back