Repairing a Tiled Valley

Why not get 2 other quotes , and see what the other roofers come up with - without prompting them - but using the knowledge you got here ;) .3 quotes are always a good idea

Sponsored Links
Why not get 2 other quotes , and see what the other roofers come up with - without prompting them - but using the knowledge you got here ;) .3 quotes are always a good idea
Yes, this is what I really need to do. Its just a time thing, combined with working 8till5 and not being there at weekend limiting me to people who can come and quote mornings evenings or just from outside.

My parents (not local to me) spoke to bloke next door whos a builder and he said valley tiles are laid first, with each one nailed to a vertical batten running up the valley. So to replace them you do have to strip back the tiles either side. He also didn't seem to think that a glassfibre valley was a good idea because it would have to sit behind the existing tiles (unlike valley tiles which sit level), and that the existing tiles would not be cut to the right shape and there wouldn't be any room for it unless you cut back the wood of the roof.

Not quite sure how to visualised what he's saying, but it certainly isnt in favour of a grp valley...

Or as he also said, the other option is to bodge it. Find from inside which actaull tiles are leaking and then gum them up from behind, in the hope of getting a year or so out of that!

Daniel

My parents (not local to me) spoke to bloke next door whos a builder and he said valley tiles are laid first, with each one nailed to a vertical batten running up the valley. So to replace them you do have to strip back the tiles either side.
I think your builder friend is confusing valley tiles with hips, me duck.

Sponsored Links
That's a lot of dosh for a couple of broken tiles. Get more quotes now you know what the issue is.

sounds like some roofers are out to make work for themselves...
change the faulty valley/s and saddle.. not penny pinching just the right thing to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back