Repairing cut Xmas lights, can I ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have these very delicate John Lewis xmas lights where the cable has broken and I want to know if they are repairable as I've only had them 2 years.

The label says definitely not but I wanted to run it past you guys before I throw them in the bin. They have broken where the plastic sheath ends and the lights start (there is no plastic sheath on the lights).

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
I'd repair them. 4.5vdc wouldnt worry me.
Depends how how you'll repair it. I'd solder the cables and use some amalgamating rubber tape round the join.
I guess a choc block would also be ok...

If its only 2 wires, and you know whats what polarity wise, i personally would join them, as there an outdoor set they are likely just saying that water or damp may be a problem if the cables damaged.
I assume the wire is not mains voltage and they connect to a transformer, likely about 24 volt output so i do not see any real danger of joining them

Edit
4.5 volt
Dare i say it,
Just twist the wires together and sellotape over like they used to do, back in the day.
Make sure they work first, if so then do something more permanent.
NOTE
Only because of the such low voltage, theres higher voltages in childrens toys, do not do this normally

Last edited:
I'd just twist them together too and use a bit of Heat Shrink but that's because i have some.

Sponsored Links
I would solder them for a proper joint, then heat-shrink, or hot melt glue to seal them, even Araldite would work. See if they might be polarity sensitive, try to rejoin by seeing if one wire is marked in some way, sometimes an edge or different texture on one wire, sometimes a white line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back