Repairing door way exterior render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The back door to my house is rendered in a thin 2mm approx render. I have striped the black paint off and It has blown in places and needs patching.

I have read up on render mixes, 3:1, 4:1, scratch coat, top coat etc. This render is so thin at about 2mm that it will be a single coat.

My question is which mix and what sand should I use. Builders, sharp or plasterers sand?

With the research i've done so far, i'm thinking 4:1 plasterers sand to cement. Does that sound OK?

The colour match isn't important as I will paint the whole door way with a textured masonry paint.

I've included a couple of pics FYI.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes Chuffy, 4 to1 that's fine, with a little drop of plasticiser added to the water to make the mix buttery. Just make sure all the blown bits have been removed and the area brushed off, give the patch a little damp down and pva,especially around the edges and fill out the patch level with the surrounding plain. Leave it to steady up a bit, and then rub it over with the float, and give it the sponge finish when it's ready..... With a thin coat of render, just make sure it doesn't dry out too quick,especially if it has the sun (maybe), directly onto it. Another little tip, when a "thin" coat of render has set, give it a very "fine" mist spray "for a few seconds, (just on and off, but don't overwet ) it just to helps to prolong the cure for a much stronger job.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the advice roughcaster.

If we get a dry weekend in the next couple of weeks I'll give it a go and post a pic, so everybody can laugh at my amateur attempts. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back