repairing hole in bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Hopefully I've posted this in the right place. So my little girl got her leg stuck in the handrail on the bath and in a rush i sawed through it to get her free. Not fancying jagged metal sticking out i removed the hand rail and am left with 2 holes and a couple of cracks (from bending it out if the way to get her foot out). Anyway the handle is the side that is against the wall so cant really replace the handle. So was wondering about the best way to fill the cracks and then trying to paint? To cover. Its an acrylic bath so im guessing fibreglass to repair but what can i paint it with to best blend in? Its a white bath.

many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would claim on my insurance and get a new tub - after all it was a genuine household emergency/accident that resulted in the damage.

Sponsored Links
No repair is ever likely to be 100% permanent / leak proof, but:

a. If the missing handle is against an internal wall, you could consider going in from the other side and replacing the handle.

b. If not, or you can't find a handle with the same fixing centres, cut away a bit more around the holes, (sufficient for access), repair with fibreglass to just below the bath surface level, then finish off the job with Cramer's chip repair. (look around the Internet - big variation in prices).

c. If you fit a new handle, but cracks show, then drill a small hole at each end of each crack (to stop it spreading) and repair local damage as above.

Thanks guys. I'm going to leave the handle off as don't want it happening again and also its not a full size so more room for my lanky legs if it stays off. Thanks to old buffer that's the way im going to go i think. Will look around for cramers chip repair on the net. The water never gets to the level where the holes are so it would just be spashing from shower just wanted to.fill.it and make.it look nicer than the current res electrical tape covering the holes at the moment. Thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back