Repairing leak in central heating system

I do expect that BG will deal with it because they don't like bad publicity.

Dynorod are a Company wholly owned by BG now and they do plumbing work required by BG.

The correct legal procedure is for Mum to file a civil claim against upstairs lady! Then she passes that to her insurers ( if any ) and they then settle the claim at their discretion.

You have no right to know upstair's insurers. They have done nothing wrong!

Your claim is against the Lady!

Tony

Sponsored Links
We know the correct procedure in theory but in practice a quiet life is more important. Alison seems to want to fight battles her mum wants no part in. I can see the upstairs neighbour wearing steel toed boots indoors instead of slippers .....

Anger got the better of me to be honest - it was the combined attitudes that we were getting that was winding me up - and the insistence that nobody could understand how water went down to mothers. We're still waiting on the council plasterer coming out, so we need to see what exactly they're going to do - then no doubt, I'll just redecorate that part of the wall myself again.

I do wonder about the deadening between the houses being soaked - but hopefully the plasterer will be able to advise on that - though my friend asked me today if it was likely to be asbestos based - absolutely no idea. The houses were built just after the first world war I think.

It all just seems so unfair that somebody upstairs can cause damage and really get off scot free - but I'll get over it lol

I suggest you file a complaint to BG as it was their section that caused the main problem letting up to 80 litres of water out.

Sponsored Links
don't worry you acted the same way as others with looking after your mums well being(y) . the plasterer would not be able to tell you about the problem with the sound deadening material or probably won't give a dam tbh ( doesn't harm asking but don't take his word as gospel ), i also doubt it is asbestos but just ask the council to check it out because you think it looks like it , they will be out pretty quick to have a look i guarantee it ( always better to be safe than sorry i suppose ) as the council don't take asbestos lightly . i think the most important thing is how your mother feels, but i think the lady upstairs is just as innocent as you but at least she did get it sorted as soon as she knew there was a problem ( you hope ). by the look of it that leak has been going for quite some time to get mouldy like that, but the council will sort most of that damage out but will need drying out a bit before they start and give the plaster at least three or four days to dry ( should be two weeks really ) before you paint it.

Got to agree - that leak has got to have been there for bloody ages :eek:
So maybe the heating engineer didn't allow much spillage after all?
John :)

Oh the leak has been there for a year - my mum told the woman upstairs about it and showed her where it was coming through. Neighbour phoned BG out but we just found out that she didn't actually tell them that there was water going down to my mum's - she just said the pressure in her boiler was dropping - so for that fact alone, I blame the neighbour cos she didn't pass on the relevant information.

I did complain to BG in writing and haven't even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement. That infuriates me as well.

I'm hoping it'll start to dry out a bit now that I've taken the paper off. We didn't realise how bad it was until I started hauling it off.

Although technically any legal action would be against the flat owner you could also threaten action directly against BG.

That could be more difficult to progress though because you have no contract with them !

Tony

Don't forget if you sue, it has to be in your mum's name and in the event of it going to a hearing , it will be your mum giving evidence , not you. I doubt she wants the aggro and the inevitable hostility afterwards. But if you're determined to fight it to the bitter end , carry on.

I've told my mum that I'll redo the decorating once the plasterer has been out. She's just raging that it has to be redone - I think she's more worried about the mess the plasterer is likely to make. I've calmed down now from initial fury about it. I just couldn't believe that anyone would cut a pipe and not consider the contents of that pipe would pour downwards!

I guess the final deluge was the one that made all of this scenario come to the surface - I would seriously doubt if any engineer would be so unprofessional, personally so maybe he isn't to blame after all.
I would guess the council would instruct for a coat of emulsion once the plaster is dry, too.
I'd move on, Alison......as the leak is sorted now, there won't be any reoccurrence - and mum should remain on reasonable terms with her neighbour.
John :)

All this confirms what I have always known....insurance is a total scamming rip-off industry: seldom there when you want help, will do anything to avoid being involved, lie to your face....the list goes on, yet we are often legally obliged to have insurance (car, home, etc). Honestly I don't know how they've got away with it for so long. I rarely take out insurance, except when I really have to.

All this confirms what I have always known....insurance is a total scamming rip-off industry: seldom there when you want help, will do anything to avoid being involved, lie to your face....the list goes on, yet we are often legally obliged to have insurance (car, home, etc). Honestly I don't know how they've got away with it for so long. I rarely take out insurance, except when I really have to.

ye and the cheeky fookers put your premiums up when you've claimed no matter how long you've been paying , w&nkers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back