Repairing lifted Parquet blocks, do I need to apply DPM ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

this year we bought as lovely 1870's end terrace, in the living room (under the carpet and rubber underlay) we found beautiful pitch pine parquet.

When removing the carpets for a better look around 20 -25% of the blocks have lifted, mainly in the center of the floor. I have read that this can happen when carpets with non breathable underlays are applied for a long time over the floor not allowing the floor to breath and then the bitumen swells up and the blocks come loose.

We are really looking forward to restoring the floor and I am going to take up clean off and re-apply the loose blocks.

I'm worried that If I only repair the blocks that have actually lifted and leave the rest then there may be a chance that those blocks might fail at some point if I apply a lacquer to the floor, which is what I want due to it boeing high traffic.

2 questions:

1, when putting the loose blocks back should I apply DPM under them..?

2, If i do this then obviously only part of the floor will have DPM. If I apply a lacquer as opposed to a wax oil will the floor be able to breath...? if not is there a chance the other blocks could lift over time...?

Bit of a long one but I apprechiate theres people on here who know thier stuff, tanks for reading.

Charlie.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back