Repairing old bench?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bnch.jpg
I bought some normal non-tanalised wood for my bench and painted it 5 years ago. It's starting to rot now. Shall I use tanalised wood? And can u paint it? Do u have to paint as much as inside wood. I mean primer, undercoat then gloss etc?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
best not to paint it will cause it to rot
timber that is constantly changing between wet and dry will not rot its around 19% moisture where the rot happens
so with sealed painted wood it traps in the moisture so it cant escape allowing it to hover around 20% for a long time

Well the bench is white, so can't change that. Would painted hardwood last longer than painted softwood? Think the tantalised wood is a bit rough

Sponsored Links
its how the wood i processed will dictate the finished surface
smooth is planed rough is sawn
treated will be in general smooth or rough as it replicates how the timber was converted rather than contribute to the timber finish

its how the wood i processed will dictate the finished surface
smooth is planed rough is sawn
treated will be in general smooth or rough as it replicates how the timber was converted rather than contribute to the timber finish

Painted hardwood is better than soft for rotting right?

What wood to most people use on benches? Hardwood or treated?

Typically oak, teak or sapele mahogany is a good choice - if you can get it. Iroko is weather resistant too but can warp incredibly once sawn from a plank. If you use a softwood, choose a treated type.
John :)

i use tile baton to repair slats tend to use 2x1"[50x25mm]77p per m or 19x38 44p per m
its treated and reasonably smooth but you need to buy loads extra and select knot free timber for the the bits more than a few inches away from the frame
to get economical use you have to replace all timbers and reduce the the bench width by about an inch or two as the replacement timbers are metric [3.6m lengths]

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back