Repairing plaster before tiling walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed old wall tiles in the kitchen which has taken some of the plaster with it. The damaged areas are quite large although are only about 3mm deep. Do I need to repair the plaster before setting the new tiles or can I just fill the gaps with thinset when I tile?

If I do need to plaster how long should I leave it before tiling?

Sponsored Links
Do what Chukka suggests. Just give the area a clean down to remove any dust etc, then spread an even layer of tile adhesive over the damaged area with a trowel. Leave it to dry overnight if you want, then tile away.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
I have removed old wall tiles in the kitchen which has taken some of the plaster with it. The damaged areas are quite large although are only about 3mm deep. Do I need to repair the plaster before setting the new tiles or can I just fill the gaps with thinset when I tile?

If I do need to plaster how long should I leave it before tiling?

powdered addy mate, not tubbed gear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back