repairing solder join advice

Ok cheers folks really helpful.

As you plumbers know this fitting is standard & available. I try to only post advice on here when I know what I'm talking about...

Anyway will heat & see what looks like. Like the flux smeared on end of solder idea..

Prepared to replace if needed.

Yea I used to be in motor trade I know the moaned at when its nothing to do with you feeling.. the MacDonalds culture I guess... but you don't get a steak in macdonalds or even mince & totties...

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is metric pipe, the fitting is a 22x15x22 end feed tee. Although In Plumbcenter that would probably just confuse the oik behind the counter. So best to ask for a 22mm end reduced end feed tee instead.

Not sure if you can get them in imperial.

You wont re-solder the fitting without taking it to bits and cleaning the pipe and fitting, no matter how much flux you use or where you put it.

Branch reduced is an N25, end reduced is an N26, branch and end reduced is an N27, both ends reduced is an N28. ;)

Sponsored Links
Oh yeh of little faith. :LOL:

I could get a stick of lead and wipe a joint over the pipe and fitting if thats what you mean, and probably 1 in a 1000 could do it.

As for re-soldering without taking it apart and cleaning, I would guess less than 1 in a 1000000.

Seen more leaks on solder ring fittings than end feed, I certainly wouldn't rely on them from experience.

heat it up, use a paintbrush to brush flux allover it when the solder starts to melt, feed more solder in, paint more flux on it as it cools = resoldered.

heat it up, use a paintbrush to brush flux allover it when the solder starts to melt, feed more solder in, paint more flux on it as it cools = resoldered.

And it will leak again.
If not today, tomorrow but sure as eggs are eggs it almost certainly will one day!

Putting more solder on MIGHT put a sealing ring around the ends of the fitting but has it gone inside? That is the question you need to ask yourself.

But you know damn well on an old fitting like that it wont go into the fitting

so if its leaking already, you would advise cutting the whole lot out and starting again, just in case re-solering does not work (which in my experience it will), rather than just re-soldering it at a cost of 5 minutes and 0 pounds first to see if it works?

fair enough but its not what i would do

I agree Hans , heat it up and feed the flux in with a brush , dab some solder in there and bobs yer uncle. (self cleaning flux)

The most dirty copper that can't be cleaned with wire wool will clean up when heated and dabbed with flux.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back