Replace 12V 50W MR16 halogen bulbs with 240V 5W GU10 LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace all the downlights in my living room with new LED lamps.

At the moment I have 5 downlights under a single dimmer. Currently they use 12V Halogen MR16, each with its own transformer.

I'd like to replace them with Mains LED GU10 (and get rid of the bulky transformers).

I have already all the necessary GU10 lampholders and LED bulbs.

My only 2 concerns are:
- does the different load on the circuit (12V Halogen vs 240V LED) require a different electrical circuit or can I safely disconnect the old lampholders and replace them with the new ones without worrying of the type of circuit (loop-in vs junction box).
- do I need to replace the dimmer?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You will need to bring the 230v (mains) wiring to each of the lamp positions. Remember to maintain the earth connection though to the last light in the chain.

Re dimmer. I hope the LED lamps that you have purchased are dimmable? Also it will depend on the dimmer's spec if it can dim those lamps. Most dimmers require a minimum load for them to work. Typically around 40watts, so if your 5 lamps add up to more than 40watts you will probably be OK. If you run in to problems (i.e. flickering/ inconsistent dimming) you may need to get a specific dimmer made for LEDs.

You will need to bring the 230v (mains) wiring to each of the lamp positions. Remember to maintain the earth connection though to the last light in the chain.

Just to clarify... You don't mean that I have to lay new wires, correct? It should be as simple as removing the transformers and connect the new GU10 lampholders instead. A simple swap... with no other modification... Or am I wrong?

Just to clarify... You don't mean that I have to lay new wires, correct? It should be as simple as removing the transformers and connect the new GU10 lampholders instead. A simple swap... with no other modification... Or am I wrong?

Are the existing 12 volt cables 3 core? Are they rated at 240volt?

Sponsored Links
They may not be long enough.

sounds too me like your keeping the same fittings.
Some may question wether it is safe to put mains voltage lampholders into fittings designed for only 12 volts.

They may not be long enough.
That is the main point, if the existing 230 volt cables will reach the fittings then yes simple swap. As to dimmers again "EFLImpudence" is spot on, it depends on dimmer used and lamps used.

In theroy all 230 volt supplies should have an earth connected in the cable even if not used except for installations fitted before 1964 (I think that's the date) in practice however DIY installations may not have earths and could also have many more faults which the extra low voltage transformer will reduce the danger however you would be unlucky if this is the case.

As they say... A picture is worth a thousand words

On the right the old lampholder (with transformer) that I plan to replace with the new one on the left...

IMG_0706.jpg

sounds too me like your keeping the same fittings.
Some may question wether it is safe to put mains voltage lampholders into fittings designed for only 12 volts.

So do you actually have new fittings designed for mains voltage, or have you altered one already.

earlier you said
"I have already all the necessary GU10 lampholders and LED bulbs".

If they are new mains fittings and the connecters are designed to take TWO cables then the grey/white? wires go in there.
If in doubt show a picture of inside the black terminal block

The hard part will be to get all of the conductors inside the little enclosure on the new light fitting. Its always a painful process. Sometimes its easier to install a suitable JB to make the connection and have a short length of flex from the JB to the fitting.

So do you actually have new fittings designed for mains voltage, or have you altered one already.

earlier you said
"I have already all the necessary GU10 lampholders and LED bulbs".

If they are new mains fittings and the connecters are designed to take TWO cables then the grey/white? wires go in there.
If in doubt show a picture of inside the black terminal block

With "fittings" do you mean the chrome metal support that goes in the cutout? (...sorry... I thought saying "lampholders" would include that too. I'm not native english speaker and I struggle with some more specific terminology...)
If so, yes... I have new ones but they are not that different from the old ones to be honest...

It would seem from picture a simple swap. As long as the cables will physically fit.

The hard part will be to get all of the conductors inside the little enclosure on the new light fitting. Its always a painful process. Sometimes its easier to install a suitable JB to make the connection and have a short length of flex from the JB to the fitting.

Yep... exactly... I'm not sure I can squeeze and twist two cables into one single connector. :D

IMG_0707.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back