Replace Electronic Ballast in light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the Electronic Ballast in the light fitting shown below as having already replaced the T5 tubes the light is still not working so I assume it's the Ballast.

I bought the Ballast below to replace it with

Specs for existing 'Robus' Ballast are:
Input: 220~240V/50Hz 0.22A
Power: 2 x 13W

Specs for new 'Harvard' Ballast are:
Input: 220~240V/50Hz 0.12A(max)
Power: 2 x 6-14W

The problem is that the new Ballast has only 6 output wire points (numbered 6,1,2,3,4,5) where as the existing Ballast has 8 (numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 )
Also I note the new Ballast has max 0.12A and the existing has 0.22A.
Will this work and if so how would I align the wires?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
The wiring diagram is on the ballast unit, the only difference is that one of the wires connects between the two lamps as opposed to returning back to the ballast unit.
To link the two wires you can either join them in terminal block or you may be able to extract the wire from one of the lamp holders and wire the link directly between the two.

Using numbers on ballast old to new in following order.
1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 6
4 and 5 connect together not to ballast
6 = 5
7 = 3
8 = 4
Note numbers are not in order.

Sponsored Links
Although the new ballast may pick up its earth via the metal casing its sometimes advisable to also fit an additional flylead to the earth terminal

Hi.

Like the guy who started this thread I need to replace a ballast but can only find them with 6 out as appose to the 8 on my current. Can you please tell me the right way to rewire it please?

Thank you :)

Old Ballast:

New Ballast

Wire it as per your original, but connect 7 and 8, to 1 and 2. So you should have two wires at terminal one, and two wires at terminal 2.

Note you'll need to use some connector block as you won't fit 2 wires into the ballast terminals.

Don't understand the problem.

You have lamps with two terminals at each end, and a diagram showing you which terminals on the ballast to connect all of the 8-in-total lamp terminals.

So why do you need to be told? What can anybody tell you that you don't already know from the diagram?

You have lamps with two terminals at each end, and a diagram showing you which terminals on the ballast to connect all of the 8-in-total lamp terminals.

So why do you need to be told? What can anybody tell you that you don't already know from the diagram?

I have never wired a ballast before, until about 3 weeks ago I didn't even know what one was. I genuinely find the diagrams confusing and I've got 8 wires that need to fit into 6 holes so I thought I'd be best to ask than risking it and damaging anything.
Not quite sure why I've felt the need to explain myself but there you go!

Wire it as per your original, but connect 7 and 8, to 1 and 2. So you should have two wires at terminal one, and two wires at terminal 2.

Note you'll need to use some connector block as you won't fit 2 wires into the ballast terminals.

So it'll be
1,7 = 1
2,8 = 2?

Thanks for your help. :)

He's just after some advice since he's never done it before, which some people are happy to give.

I remember being an apprentice and given the task of replacing a Philips 135 watt SOX ballast, I asked how do I wire this and was told simply to follow the "f**king" diagram on the front of it ! I soone learned how to wire them.
I will admit tho occasionally I get a little confused and have to draw it out on paper.
I've also had Electricians work with me that can't fathom out how to wire a 35 SOX tray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back