Replace Flush Door Contact & Updating Texecom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As a precursor, I've worked in IT Support years but never touched alarm systems so all completely new to me. Getting information on "how-to" seems a bit tricky as lot seems to locked behind trade account/access.

We had a new Texecom Premier Elite 48 system installed in 2021 but the system hasn't been touched since then.

1st Query - I think one of our door contacts has just failed. It would randomly set the alarm off if it was armed. So I undid it to look for any loose cables, no joy - however it's now worse. It's now permanently "open" (even if I literally hold the contacts together). I've got a QFT-RD, I did want to just swap like for like, however the contact is £3/4 but shipping £8/£10. Any recommendations for alternative that aren't sold only via wholesalers?

2nd Query - My understanding is that the main box, SmartCom (and maybe PIRs?) have firmware updates to be done. Is it possible to DIY these without much grief, if yes any documentation/guidance? I would like to get and keep everything up to date. I've the engineers code.

I also have an issue currently with the SmartCom randomly dropping off the WiFi so I have to reconnect it by entering WiFi details into it again. I'm hoping a firmware update has fixed this.

Main Box FW: 5.02.01
SmartCom FW: 03.03.00

Thanks in advance guys

Sponsored Links
Have you a multimeter to check contact?
Is the contact fitted back into door frame correctly.
Look on ebay for that contact or source cheaper ungraded contact fit resistors for EOL or change wiring configuration to double pole with ungraded contact.

Smart com current firmware 4.02 which can be upgraded via app with engineer code.
Instructions available on Internet on how to do.

Smart com firmware is 4.04 and panel is 6.03.02 did a remote upgrade yesterday for a customer.

To upgrade the the system on the Texecom cloud you will need an app code and the engineers code to set it up on the cloud, however if it is registered to the installer then the panel would have to be released first.

You may find the part on ebay/ amazon, the issue for shipping is one unit is bulky, so to get cheaper you may want to find somewhere local you ca pick up from.

Other diyers on this forum have managed to register for an account, think the forum is set out for installers but a disclaimer at the end about taking responsability. I have no idea if the policy has changed recently.

Last edited:
Have you a multimeter to check contact?
Is the contact fitted back into door frame correctly.
Look on ebay for that contact or source cheaper ungraded contact fit resistors for EOL or change wiring configuration to double pole with ungraded contact.

Smart com current firmware 4.02 which can be upgraded via app with engineer code.
Instructions available on Internet on how to do.
I have a multimeter but not sure how I would check all is OK, are you able to explain?

With the contact both in and out of the door (I thought if I take both sides out and hold together it should simulate the door being closed - but no joy.

I have tried eBay but may need to try harder...

This below - literally means nothing to me which is why I was trying for the easy route of swap like-for-like! I'll try searching again but otherwise will do a bit more reading into what you've advised. Thank you.

source cheaper ungraded contact fit resistors for EOL or change wiring configuration to double pole with ungraded contact.

I should've said but I also did try via App and had no joy previously. I even tried the old V1 app but couldn't update with that either, the section just doesn't show up. Although I have just followed advice from @secureiam below and managed to setup a Texecom Cloud account so heading in the right direction

Sponsored Links
Smart com firmware is 4.04 and panel is 6.03.02 did a remote upgrade yesterday for a customer.

To upgrade the the system on the Texecom cloud you will need an app code and the engineers code to set it up on the cloud, however if it is registered to the installer then the panel would have to be released first.

You may find the part on ebay/ amazon, the issue for shipping is one unit is bulky, so to get cheaper you may want to find somewhere local you ca pick up from.

Other diyers on this forum have managed to register for an account, think the forum is set out for installers but a disclaimer at the end about taking responsability. I have no idea if the policy has changed recently.

This has helped a lot - thanks. So I've managed to sign up for a Cloud Account and did actually have a search on the Texecom Forums. One of their staff advised it's fine for DIYers - just fill out any mandatory company fields with a "0"

I've linked my system successfully and I've paid £7 for a years access, does this sound like the correct thing?

Any good practice prerequisites? Any thing I can back-up first to roll-back if need be?

Edit: Just seen the comment about SmartCom first!

You don’t need the paid subscription it auto renews also but your choice.

If you get stuck you need to contact Texecom for issues with the cloud,

Wi-Fi get a repeater to help with signal

Good shout. I've got one and just stuck it right next to it.

On a bit of side note, I did actually run a couple of CAT6 cables to where the panel is and just never connected it up yet (not sorted out switch yet). Just case of plug and play, with the SmartCom?

Hard wired always best.

If dropping Wi-Fi for hard wired I would default the smart com but that’s your choice.

Sequentially is not required.

Note make sure you read the panel config before upgrading the panel it should prompt for this anyway

Hard wired always best.

If dropping Wi-Fi for hard wired I would default the smart com but that’s your choice.

Sequentially is not required.

Note make sure you read the panel config before upgrading the panel it should prompt for this anyway

Right - all done.
Panel: Elite 48 V6.03.02 LS1
SmartCom: V04.04.00

I did get a warning about putting the system on test (not applicable to me) and disabling sounders. I did find one of your previous posts about someone changing batteries in their bell box so followed hold off instructions first.

Other than that, just need to sort the door contact.

Thanks again for your help mate. Any other DIY bits worth me researching (in regards to maintenance) whilst I'm spending on time on the system?

You need to read up on alarm maintenance or go on a course and learn how it works, this isn't cheap but you can find information online for free.

easy to tell you what to do but doing and not understanding only causes serious issues if things go wrong.

To check contact
Set multimeter to ohms
Remove contact wires from control panel pcb.
Put multimeter onto wires ,with door closed you should get 2.2k reading .
With door open you should get 6.8k reading.
You can also do this from engineer utilities, view zone status.
This will show if door is open or closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back