Replace manhole cover - how much of a pain are water companies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a manhole cover in my conservatory that seem to have been put in by a (possibly drunk) cowboy (before 2011)
If I want to replace it do I need to ask the water company and are the going to tell me I need to move the manhole outside ? (Too expensive option)

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Depends if its on a public sewer, and what do you mean by replace it

Yes it's a shared sewer so technically their. I mean removing the manhole metal frame and cover and putting a better one in.
Just worry how assy they will get about the current state of it...

I would replace yourself or with a builder etc. If you ask them, im not sure they will unless its dangerous/missing, and then you could open a can of worms if rules have been broken. Plus the cost I imagine would be born by you which would be expensive rates, plus the damage/mess left behind

Sponsored Links
I think if it was definitely pre 2011, then you stand a good chance of the utility company sorting it, however I expect there has to be an actual fault with it rather than it just looks horrible to get them to sort. It would originally have been private drainage, and internal manhole covers would have been allowed. When the utility company took over shared sewers inevitably they took ownership of installs that were OK originally but would no longer be approved now.

We have a shared manhole in our garden which was broken by a 3T digger driving over it (I didn't tell them that bit, just that it was broken). I asked Utility Co (UU) innocently if it was my or their responsibility to repair. If it was mine could they advise a specification and if it was theirs could they come and sort it. Within a couple of weeks they'd surveyed and sorted it. No questions about how it was broken.

Even though it is inside your conservatory, I believe as it is their equipment now, it is their responsibility to ensure it is safe. I would find the right department and send them an email query.

I think if it was definitely pre 2011, then you stand a good chance of the utility company sorting it, however I expect there has to be an actual fault with it rather than it just looks horrible to get them to sort. It would originally have been private drainage, and internal manhole covers would have been allowed. When the utility company took over shared sewers inevitably they took ownership of installs that were OK originally but would no longer be approved now.

We have a shared manhole in our garden which was broken by a 3T digger driving over it (I didn't tell them that bit, just that it was broken). I asked Utility Co (UU) innocently if it was my or their responsibility to repair. If it was mine could they advise a specification and if it was theirs could they come and sort it. Within a couple of weeks they'd surveyed and sorted it. No questions about how it was broken.

Even though it is inside your conservatory, I believe as it is their equipment now, it is their responsibility to ensure it is safe. I would find the right department and send them an email query.
As you say there has to be a fault and it sounds like just naff workmanship so best not get WC involved otherwise things could get messy re getting or doing any work on it. Son bought a house and there was a ic cover down the dividing alleyway that was severely corroded and had been covered with carpet tiles by previous owner, it was a shared sewer so told son to get in touch with Anglian who came and replaced within a couple of weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back