Replace Potterton room thermostat with programmable version

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I have a basic Potterton PTR01 thermostat that I would like to replace with a new programmable version (Honeywell or Heatmiser PRT-TS?).

The existing thermostat has 3 wires connected (red-L, blue-N and yellow-Light Symbol) plus an unconnected earth. I want to avoid replacing this in wall cable but am not sure if it can be used with the new programmable thermostat?

My setup consist of a Potterton Suprima boiler and Boilermate II hot water storage unit.

Would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Do you have an existing timer/programmer? If so, which one?

Are you thinking of a wired or wireless programmable stat?

There is a very basic timer on the Boilermate II which allows me to set on off times but cannot vary this for different days. So I assume I just set this to on all the time and then control from the thermostat.

I thought a wired one would make sense as the cable is already in place. Just not sure about how the wires will work with the new programmable thermostat.

Sponsored Links
There is a very basic timer on the Boilermate II which allows me to set on off times but cannot vary this for different days. So I assume I just set this to on all the time and then control from the thermostat.
Yes

I thought a wired one would make sense as the cable is already in place. Just not sure about how the wires will work with the new programmable thermostat.
If you use a Honeywell CM907 connect as follows:

Red to Terminal A
Yellow to Terminal B

The blue and earth wires are not required and should be made safe, e.g in a terminal block hidden behind the back plate.

NO connection should be made to terminal C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back