Replace Seal on UPVC door (Q-lon?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm at my wits end trying to find information about this. Essentially, my upvc / double glazed front door seems to have become pretty ineffective at keeping the cold out. Running my hand along the edges when it's shut I can feel that some parts are colder than others and seem to be letting the cold air in. Both the door and the frame seem to have a black seal / gasket around them with the words Q-lon on them and it seems like the seal has become a bit frayed in places. While Google throws up q-lon as a type of weather seal, there is no information around how to actually replace /fit one or if it is even possible since it looks clamped in. Also, there are a number of seals out there so it's hard to figure out which is the right one, although this looks promising:

http://shop.windowrepairshop.co.uk/Q-Lon-Weatherseal-Gasket-6571

I've also put up some pictures below of the door frame, one of the edges and the door itself.

Can someone please be kind of to tell me if it is
a) possible to replace the seal
b) presumably if you can replace it, you can pull/wrench out the old one, But how do you fit a new one or is it a professional jobby?
c) Is Q-lon a decent product?

Thanks a ton folks.

[code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
it only slides in as far as I know normally.

problem is, I think they slide these seals in before they fusion weld the corners.. so once frame has been fusion welded you have no open end to slide the old seal out, and new seal back into.

Thanks that's what I was afraid of. I couldn't see any opening to pull out the existing one. Might go around to some local shops and see what I can do.

It essentially slides in or clips into a groove, i've replaced so many gaskets in my time its unreal but this stuff is a right nightmare to pull out, yes you won't be able slide it out so it'll need grabbing with pliers and just pulled out, the trouble is pressing the new one in..........beware for a couple of hours work.

I normally replace with B206 from euroseal, its a kind of universal one sixe fits all bubble gasket, but beware if for any reason your Q-lon or any other gasket is just slightly too thick then you get problems elsewhere like the door won't latch, becomes hinge bound, locks won't engage when lifting the handle

It sounds a simple job, and it is but it can so easily go pear shaped

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the heads up. I found a local windows company who say they also run a door and windows doctor service (and will be happy to come and take a look without cost, let's see what they have to say. I guess it was too late on a Friday to get any useful technical input since they had the exact same type of door and frame like the one I have but the lady I spoke to didn't really know much.

I am game to try and remove it out myself, and like you've said this stuff is definitely replaceable. What I'm petrified of is pulling the old one out and then not being able to put the new one in (slightly diy challenged).

Think I might just order the standard gasket you mention and have a go (fingers crossed). :)

My advice is let them come and look at it for you, either work a price out with them or get them to show you by pulling a inch out

Hello All,
Someone did come and look at my door and the suggestion was that it was not the seal that was at fault but the door itself that needed to be re-adjusted so that it closes tighter. It's apparently an hour or so worth of work although the quote seemed a tad on the expensive side (£100 + VAT). On a related note, you were right about the seal, apparently it is extruded in and is a pain to take out ( and put back in). Bit undecided at the moment.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a similar problem, the seals on my door are perished, mainly on the door frame than on the actual door though.

How did yours go in the end?

Cheers
Tom

Looks like a lockmaster from what i can see, £100 to adjust :O. If the door has enough adjustment to move it closer to the frame do it yourself, take caps of the flag hinges (if they are flag) and use a allenkey to wind over. Once you have done that locate the cams/rollers/mushrooms on the door lock and wind so the mark or dot faces the inside of the house, you should then find the handle a bit harder to lift when locking the door.

It essentially slides in or clips into a groove, i've replaced so many gaskets in my time its unreal but this stuff is a right nightmare to pull out, yes you won't be able slide it out so it'll need grabbing with pliers and just pulled out, the trouble is pressing the new one in..........beware for a couple of hours work.

I normally replace with B206 from euroseal, its a kind of universal one sixe fits all bubble gasket, but beware if for any reason your Q-lon or any other gasket is just slightly too thick then you get problems elsewhere like the door won't latch, becomes hinge bound, locks won't engage when lifting the handle

It sounds a simple job, and it is but it can so easily go pear shaped
Unfortunately my fiance and I have just replaced our perished flipper seal with a new one and have come across the problem that now the door won't close or latch properly.

Can anyone advise us on how to rectify this ASAP?

Thanks in advance

The keep on the frame that the door latches on might be adjustable by being able to slide back and forth once you've released the 2 tiny screws directly above and below, half a turn to release and slide the keep out then lock the screws off

Elsewhere if your door has roller cams and hooks then the slots on the frame where the hooks and cams lock into will also be adjustable, they'll need to be bought further away from the frame rubber, again either tiny screws to release or maybe an Allen key, cams can also be adjusted on the door, they should have a hole for an Allen key in the centre and can be turned, look closely and you should see a dot or a line on the can, turn this till the line or dot is pointing away from the door gasket, do one at a time and keep checking the door for locking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back