Replace Soffit Vent Mesh.. easily?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect that I'm not going to get an answer I like, but here goes nothing..

My house has soffit vents, and the mesh has all but disintegrated on most of them. I'd like to replace it to prevent birds/bugs/bats from making their home in my attic, but looking at the vents (photos below), I seem to have a predicament - unless somebody here knows better, the only way I think I can remove the vent covers is to take off the fascia.. which means removing the guttering too, which seems like a crazy situation to just replace some mesh.. surely I'm missing something?

ri7s01.jpg

205hrn.jpg

Thanks, Ed

Sponsored Links
Huh, I assumed those were rusted bolt tops, but after looking again they're some kind of weathered brown plastic plugs. Are you saying I should just yank the whole thing? It seemed pretty sturdy and I'm a little worried I'll damage the soffit if I tug too hard (needless to say it's my first time dealing with this). Additionally, if any of the plastic plug-things break I'll struggle to put it back.. any idea what I need to search for to get replacements for those? Sorry if these questions are stupid!

Are the frames plastic or metal?
I would assume that the plastic caps cover screw heads into wood?

Either remove them all and regauze or find a similar sized replacement and screw on
Maybe paint the soffit while up there?

You can get capped stainless screws possibly inthe upvc section of DIY shops

Or if the wood (ply?) of the soffit is in good condition you could over lay it with thin upvc and add new vents
( this is a matter of opinion but I did my garage this way)

Sponsored Links
Yes, you will most likely find that they are plastic screws caps. I don't think that they will be push plugs, but either way, they are removable. Undo them, and the vents slide out.

Refitting should be just be reversal of above. If need be, you can use plastic wall plugs if the holes in the soffit are to big for your new screws.

I just had a good pry at one and the top snapped in half - the rest just pushed up into the fascia, so they're definitely plugs. I'll probably have to drill them out then use wall plugs, screws, and caps to replace, but now I have a way forward! Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back