Replace stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new kitchen, this will allow access to the water main pipe work, this has two stop cocks, one original about 1950s seized up, and a later one that is also oldish and again very stiff, as these are under the sink and not easy to get at, I thought of replacing them with a 15mm ball valve as these are far easier to turn off and also a Sure Stop remote switch unit as a secondary back up, this is because the flat may be let for a while, and it might save a disaster if it were obvious where the water can be shut off,
one problem, the flats have no obvious mains stop cock so will have to use a freezer unit on the flats incoming pipe, can anyone see any problems with this idea.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
The trouble with stopcocks as proved by the no working existing ones, is that they seize up over time, I know the old saying about turning them every six months etc, however with a ball valve you have a lever that is almost idiot proof, when in panic raking around under a sink trying to turn the water off.
also Sure Stop as an additional back up seems to me make sense..

also Sure Stop as an additional back up.
Surestop now do a version that is WRAS approved as a stopcock in its own right, not just a back-up.
Available with a direct or remote switch.
whyfitthis.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you hire a plumber with a 'freeze master' who can freeze the incoming water main and remove both faulty stop cocks. Then he will be able to arrange the pipe work so that a stopcock/lever valve is easily be accessible under the kitchen sink.

Andy

I have seen sure stops that, well, don't
Almost certainly the old style Surestop Water Switch not the Surestop Stopcock. The old style was never given WRAS approval and the new, redesigned ones have.

New style, as shown above, have only been available for a few weeks.

Thanks to one and all for your helpful replies.
I became aware of the various Sure Stop models available after having looked on Ebay to see what was on offer, so I checked on the WRAS site re approval, and it would seem that only the very latest type are the ones that are recommended as being of sufficiant quality to act as a replacement for a normal stop cock device.

I checked on the WRAS site re approval, and it would seem that only the very latest type are the ones that are recommended as being of sufficiant quality to act as a replacement for a normal stop cock device.

The earlier models are just a service valve to be installed with a stopcock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back