Replace TRV heads vs get new valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have very old Danfoss TRV's on all my radiators but a couple had the head missing and the others are very tatty and old. I found replacement heads for £20 each. But it seems you can buy the whole valve with head for a similar price. Should I just replace all the valves? They must be over 20 years old. I tried tapping the pins with the head removed as people said, but they didn't move at all, completely solid, is that wrong? One is missing the pin altogether

Also, it seems Danfoss make good TRVs, but they don't look great. Are all TRVs made basically equal or what about these more stylish ones...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/apollo-modern-anthracite-angled-thermostatic-radiator-valves

Are they going to be as good as something like this : https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/danfoss-randall-ra2910-sensor-p-375.html

Any help would be great
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on the screw thread, I bought programmable heads for £15 each with bluetooth, without bluetooth less than £10 each, the instructions refer to RA, RAV, and RAVL for Danfoss standard is M30 x 1.5 mm, but it comes with adaptors as listed.

I see no point in using wax or liquid filled heads when the electronic ones are so cheap. typical advert for eQ-3 head OK from Screwfix they are expensive at £22 but shop around and quite cheap.

However screwfix do link to the manual so you can see what it does, the big question is how far to go automating central heating? You can spend £1000 to automate, and the problem is EvoHome, Wiser, Tado, Lightwave, and Hive, all do their own version which link to the wall thermostat, so if you want to go to next step the eQ-3 is then obsolete, I use both eQ-3 and Energenie, the latter were claimed to work with Nest, but don't, and this is the problem, seen good reports fro Wiser and EvoHome, seen some poor reports for Hive both not strong enough to push pin and wireless linking problems, but not a clue if there is really a problem or if the guy just had not done it right.

I personally find the eQ-3 is better than the more expensive Energenie although you can use IFTTT with Energenie and set up geofencing, there is also the Terrier i30 which like the eQ-3 is a stand alone.

I have posted a few times to try and get some feed back, but people don't seem to want to share how theirs works, except for Wiser users, who report they work very well with them remembering how long it takes to warm a room so ideal for geofencing.

Thanks, I'm looking for the more manual TRVs as its a rental house and I just want to set it and leave it, or have it very simple for tenants. Most won't probably understand how a TRV works to start with!

My main question is, is there a difference in quality between the ones I linked to? And should I replace the whole valve or just the head, considering the price is similar

thanks

1. Victorian plumbing ones look a very similar shape to Drayton TRV4's. As far as I know Drayton don't do Anthracite, so may well be a Far Eastern copy, probably specific to Victorian Plumbing.
2. If my supposition is correct, I think it unlikely they will be such good quality as the Draytons or Danfoss.
3. If it were me I'd change the lot.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks everyone, I'll change all the valves.

What brands are considered the best? Danfoss and Drayton? And do they all fit on the same 15mm pipes?

1. I nearly always fit Drayton. They are a bit expensive, but well made, and I've never had a call back for one. I also happen to like the appearance of the white and chrome ones.
2. Danfoss are generally reckoned to be good. But so are Honeywell and Pegler to name but two.
3. Try and avoid the really cheap, sub £10.00 ones. I've had a few of these (not fitted by me!) be very noisy.
4. Subsequent to my my previous post I've seen some that look like the Victorian Plumbing ones you like. Have a look at Screwfix 642GX.

There is a TRV with the lock shield built in, so it is not obvious, as a result unlikely to be fiddled with, may be a good idea with a rental so not fiddled with, can't remember the make, I am sure some one will and post what make they are.

TRV valves are all very simple and similar in the way they work and their internals, it all comes down to the heads - their quality, materials, calibration, sensitivity, etc so when you start to spend money it's more to do with the head rather than the valve itself.

Honestly if it's for a rental then I'd just replace the ones you have with some contract valves, especially if - in your words - "most won't know how a TRV works". or if they may be at higher risk of getting broken etc (depends on your tenants I guess)

Thanks guys, so it seems like sticking with Drayton or Danfoss or similar quality ones is a good idea. IT would be nice to find some nicer ones as my rads will be painted grey, and the white plastic heads just stick out. But I'd go for quality over looks in the end regardless.

TRV valves are all very simple and similar in the way they work and their internals, it all comes down to the heads - their quality, materials, calibration, sensitivity, etc so when you start to spend money it's more to do with the head rather than the valve itself.

Honestly if it's for a rental then I'd just replace the ones you have with some contract valves, especially if - in your words - "most won't know how a TRV works". or if they may be at higher risk of getting broken etc (depends on your tenants I guess)

Sorry what do you mean by contract valves? I noticed the Danfoss replacement heads I could get had options for residential and for commercial, with a fair difference in price

1. I nearly always fit Drayton. They are a bit expensive, but well made, and I've never had a call back for one. I also happen to like the appearance of the white and chrome ones.
2. Danfoss are generally reckoned to be good. But so are Honeywell and Pegler to name but two.
3. Try and avoid the really cheap, sub £10.00 ones. I've had a few of these (not fitted by me!) be very noisy.
4. Subsequent to my my previous post I've seen some that look like the Victorian Plumbing ones you like. Have a look at Screwfix 642GX.

Thanks, the ones you found on Screwfix aren't a brand you recommended or I'd heard of, did you say you saw a Drayton version?

Cheap unbranded shyte.

Not often disagree about cheap and cheerful being shyte but if it's for a rental and they're not going to be used properly then they do the job. very much like contract taps, they might not look great but they do they job they were intended for and TBH there isn't very much too them.

I'm often asked by landlords to fit cheaper versions as they invariably get damaged and there's no point in fitting more expensive ones. For the ones that don't get damaged then I've rarely had any problems with them. Out of the lots fitted, I can count on one hand how many I've had to replace as being faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back