Replaced chaffoteaux for Potterton Gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have last week replaced a Chaffoteaux Celtic balanced vertical flue combi after 18 years hard labour with a Potterton Gold 28HE combi.

I have been amazed at these Chaff's. This one has been installed in a one bed flat with numerous changes of tenants. Main problem with it was the pilot light kept blowing out with the wind, as it was an attic flat, prone to this problem. It was still working when we ripped its heart out (pump), it was just getting too noisy when demand for hot water.

Still more to the point, can anyone advise if they have experienced any inherent problems with the Potterton Gold I have put in. Tips on maintenance etc as I intend to keep this one going for hopefully the same amount of time :eek: :!:

Any comments much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the system water is scrupulously clean and properly inhibited.

Contaminents in the system water (eg mineral oils from new radiators) can seriously degrade the O rings in the main heat exchanger. Once they fail a new heat exchanger will be required.

Check the 5 year warranty - most of these extended warranties do not cover installation faults or poor system water quality ie scale and sludge.

Gasguru said:
Contaminents in the system water (eg mineral oils from new radiators) can seriously degrade the O rings in the main heat exchanger. Once they fail a new heat exchanger will be required
What's wrong with new 'O' rings?

Gasguru said:
Check the 5 year warranty - most of these extended warranties do not cover installation faults or poor system water quality ie scale and sludge.
3 years warranty on gold.

Many of the O ring compounds used in boilers are very intolerant to mineral oils (EPDM, Butyl) - hence the amount of leaks and sticking diverter valves we see.

There are about a dozen O rings used inside the plastic Giannoni heat exchangers - AFAIK they have only been on the market for 3 years ie not very long. The normal failure mode I find for contaminated O rings is either swelling (especially on sticking diverters) or compression set (embritlement).

Is the 3 year warranty subject to full service history, benchmark and a water sample? Some manufacturers (eg Heatline/Halstead) say they will honour the warranty regardless of the quality of the installation (I don't believe them) - they can just drag out the job and p**s off the customer.

Sponsored Links
tryitandsee said:
Still more to the point, can anyone advise if they have experienced any inherent problems with the Potterton Gold I have put in. Tips on maintenance etc as I intend to keep this one going for hopefully the same amount of time :eek: :!: Any comments much appreciated.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Interesting replies. We rather rushed the clean out of the existing pipework and rads, at my cost in the future I suspect. Still, quite impressed with the simplicity of all the main bits for access etc.. Time will tell.

Gasguru. It appears all plastic washers and o rings degrade pretty quickly. Had to change diaphragm on a torbec valve after one year, rubber was perished, black liquid dripping all over carpet and staining as I disposed of it. Wife went mad, not even a thank you for mending the noisy valve :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back