replacement 2pole pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im new to the forum and just need a bit of help with the replacement of a pull cord in my bathroom.

I am replacing a very old pullcord in the bathroom which was cracked. The switch controls a fan and lights when the switch is on.

The replacement switch is a bit different from the one I am replacing as this was very old and brittle.

The wires coming in to the switch are from the fan, Live and switched live (Via a FCU) and the other from the lights, Live and switched live. I need a bit of help just in directing me where to connect these in the new switch.

The new switch has a Load L/N and a Supply L/N, where as the old switch had another connection too but im not sure this was correct for the job.

Any help in how to connect these would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to tell us what cables were connected to what in the old switch. Does the extract fan have a run on timer. The usual set up will be all permanent lives in the Com terminal and all switch wires in L1.

The fan has a timer and humidity function which is why it needs a permanent live and switched live.

Im not sure what the connections were before, but I have 2 lives and 2 switched lives which need to switch the fan and lights on. Im not too up on my electrical knowledge, but dont really want to get an electrician in just to connect a light switch.

It is wired as per the diagram in the WIKI section of this site.

wire.jpg

Thanks for looking[/img]

This is what it seems
BUT MAY NOT BE THE CASE SO DOUBLE CHECK :!:
BY WHAT YOU SAID
you have a live and switchlive for the fan if so put across L supply and L load
you have a live and switchlive for the light if so put across N supply and N load

THAT will be similar to the wiki drawing IF THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE :!:

All it is doing is acting as two switches operating together

HOWEVER :!:
How are you so sure there is a switchline and live for the fan AND the light.
AS OPPOSED to a live and neutral in and live and neutral out

IF you are 100% sure they are not neutrals
IN THIS CASE ONLY you can ignore the N for neutral as I do not think they make a two pole switch not labelled as L and N
CALL IT
L supply, L load (fan)
L1 supply L1 load ( Light) previously N
obviously ISOLATE FIRST

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back