Replacement Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a Potterton Profile 50e which is coming up to 21 years old. It's never had many problems apart from a noisy fan which I've got used to. However, recently it's had starting problems. The fan clicks on but after 5/6 seconds you hear another click and it switches off again. This happens 20/30 times when the boiler is cold until eventually the pilot sparks and it lights. When hot, it works fine. Is the boiler at the end of it's life. I guess I could have it fixed but are today's boilers more economical so should I change it as it's old? Any input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
most likely it's the pcb. repairable but a replacement boiler would be cheaper to run, but I'm not saying you should or shouldn't go down that route.

The profile was the last decent boiler Potterton ever made!!
I'd get it fixed as long as the casing is not corroded it will have loads of life in it yet!! ;)

The profile was the last decent boiler Potterton ever made!!
I'd get it fixed as long as the casing is not corroded it will have loads of life in it yet!! ;)

Others have said exactly the same thing but hasn't boiler design moved on in 20 odd years? If you believe what's written, anything over 15 years should be replaced. No wonder I'm confused!!

Sponsored Links
most likely it's the pcb. repairable but a replacement boiler would be cheaper to run, but I'm not saying you should or shouldn't go down that route.
I forgot to mention the overheat cut-out also trips very regularly all of a sudden. Is there a replacement manufacturer you'd recommend?

Tripping O/H stat is normally because its over heating!

Suspect pump circulation issues.

Also the settable flow temperature is too close to the OH tripping temp. Better not to set knob to above about 3 1/2.

The Profile should be supplied with a permanent live connection and have the pump powered by the boiler as that gives an over run for a few minutes.

Tony

It is an old unit and is relatively inefficient by modern standards.

We tradespeople can all suggest easy fixes for problems but the reality for a householder is at least a £100 cheque and a day or two off work each time a 'simple' fault occurs.

With some new units coming with a manufacturer support of seven years, and being >90% efficient, there is a good argument for getting a new one.

But this is from a boiler installer- I'm not interested in repairing old Pottertons. But I do try to be impartial.

If it was a washing machine or car and 21 years old.
Would you be asking?

You have your answer.

I repair a lot of old boilers!

A replacement might be about £1500 and save about 22% of the gas bill.

But unless your gas bill is quite high there is probably little financial advantage in replacing your old boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back