Replacement Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next summer I going to have the floors up for a load of electrical work and I want to take the opportunity to replace the central heating. The current system is old and the pipework is routed very badly which has left me with loads of creaking as the pipes expand. Also, there are no drain cocks and the stopcock is totally inaccesible at the back of the kitchen base units! The tanks in the roof are galvanised and gunked up to hell so I'll replace those too.

I'm not going with a combi - I'm sticking with a vented Y plan system because I understand it (I think). I have a Baxi back boiler which seems okay and provides me with a gas fire when I need it.

My questions are;

1) Is it okay legally for me to do the pipework myself and just get a plumber in to do the gas/boiler connections?

2) Should I use microbore or stick with 15/22mm?

3) Is plastic pipe a serious option?

4) Do I really need such a big tank in the loft? (There's only me and the wife usually)

5) I'm putting in an electric shower at the same time - can I bury 15mm copper pipe in a wall to feed it?

Cheers in anticipation

Sponsored Links
ceolmar said:
1) Is it okay legally for me to do the pipework myself and just get a plumber in to do the gas/boiler connections?

[Hang the rads and do all pipework to one metre of boiler and let Corgi do the rest[/

2) Should I use microbore or stick with 15/22mm?
15/22mm would be my choice

3) Is plastic pipe a serious option?
[If you are confident and it is getting more popular
4) Do I really need such a big tank in the loft? (There's only me and the wife usually)
Depends on your hot water and you will need 2 tanks if you stick to your y plan. Combi would be my choice for 2 people

5) I'm putting in an electric shower at the same time - can I bury 15mm copper pipe in a wall to feed it?
Yes, but do not bury joints

AGreed, except I'd avoid a combi if I had space for a tank, and protect your pipe buried in the wall - a sleeve for example allows for movement too.

Sponsored Links
Chris perhaps this is why you have trouble understanding regs do you actually read what is written. :eek: The guy says he doesn`t want a combi and wants to stick with his y plan. and you say "Agreed except i would avoid a combi". :?:

Let it go Namsag :LOL:

Poster asked for advice. Combi will service 2 adults no problem and he does wish to get rid of his water tank. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back